4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

550-600rhp goal. What's my order?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Kennygt

Default 550-600rhp goal. What's my order?

I have a 2002 mustang gt. I bought it with a x pipe, cat back exhaust. Mild street cam, procharger (7psi), 3 core intercooler, throttle body, short throw shifter, 3.73 gears, patriot stage 1 ported heads, eibach lowering springs. And I have some long tube headers on the way. I got it dynoed and I realize it's pushing the limits of my stock internals. My goal for this car is between 550-600 rwhp. As I've been reading into this I realize how pricey this goal is. I've been reading into transmission work, forge internals, clutch, drivetrain and all the upgrades I would need to upgrade to hold this power.

I realized that there is plenty of other people that have done this project and could really help me out before I screw something up. So the main question is, what's the order I should upgrade my system at. Should I forge my internals and add a bigger cam then replace transmissions once it breaks or make everything safe first. I'm pretty new to the car world and am not the most educated. I run the car at a strip about twice a month and drive it to and from work every day(besides winter) but work is onl about 5 miles away.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:13 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kennygt
I have a 2002 mustang gt. I bought it with a x pipe, cat back exhaust. Mild street cam, procharger (7psi), 3 core intercooler, throttle body, short throw shifter, 3.73 gears, patriot stage 1 ported heads, eibach lowering springs. And I have some long tube headers on the way. I got it dynoed and I realize it's pushing the limits of my stock internals. My goal for this car is between 550-600 rwhp. As I've been reading into this I realize how pricey this goal is. I've been reading into transmission work, forge internals, clutch, drivetrain and all the upgrades I would need to upgrade to hold this power.

I realized that there is plenty of other people that have done this project and could really help me out before I screw something up. So the main question is, what's the order I should upgrade my system at. Should I forge my internals and add a bigger cam then replace transmissions once it breaks or make everything safe first. I'm pretty new to the car world and am not the most educated. I run the car at a strip about twice a month and drive it to and from work every day(besides winter) but work is onl about 5 miles away.
forge internals, better clutch to handle the power, and then throw a bigger blower on it? i have no experience but thats what i would think. hopefully other people chime in to correct me if i am wrong.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:41 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

youre gonna have to worry about the internals, the trans, clutch, i would be a little worried about the rear a little. I'm sure theres some other stuff that people who have done the build will suggest once they see the thread.

How much power are you putting down now?
Old 11-14-2012, 01:21 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

oh and to put the power down, i would modify the suspension or else you wont hook up at all..
Old 11-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

I have practically your exact same set up and am reaching for pretty much your exact same goals but a tad higher. You'll need at least a d1sc, an 8rib set up, and a bigger fuel system to handle the power. Your rear end shouldn't be too big a concern because the procharger makes power in the mid to high end so stress on the rear won't he much at all. Do you have subframe connectors already?
Old 11-15-2012, 07:12 AM
Kennygt

Yeah I have full length subframe connectors. Also why upgrade to D1? Can th P1 not hold that kind of power? In anther one of my threads someone mentioned a 8rib pulley. Is that just a unique pulley or do I have to change other things with it ?
Old 11-15-2012, 04:07 PM
T.Richardson
1st Gear Member

F1A procharger will get you that kind of power. But its kinda noisy.

But yea like what everyone has pointed out. Forged internals, clutch, ect..
Old 11-15-2012, 07:09 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by xx10Gt
oh and to put the power down, i would modify the suspension or else you wont hook up at all..
Yep! A forged shortblock is a no brainer, but good suspension is necessary, since you're planning to do some drag racing at that power level. I recommend UPR Products suspension. It is Made in America, it carries a Lifetime Guarantee, and it works REALLY well. www.uprproducts.com
Old 11-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I have full length subframe connectors. Also why upgrade to D1? Can th P1 not hold that kind of power? In anther one of my threads someone mentioned a 8rib pulley. Is that just a unique pulley or do I have to change other things with it ?
The P-1sc maxes out right around 500ish but the D-1sc has more power potential and can handle 600rwhp with no problem. Belt slippage at those power levels definitely can become possible so the 8-rib system is there to take care of that issue. The D-1sc also allows more room to grow should you choose to add more power later on.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:55 AM
caaraa
2nd Gear Member

Good thread, I always like them.

Quick Reply: 550-600rhp goal. What's my order?