4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

cliffyk and uberstang1....

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 04:42 AM
MidNightRunner
2nd Gear Member

Default cliffyk and uberstang1....

Anyone else is welcome to give input but wanted to grab your guys attention

I need more power! I want to stay NA so it's time to do the heads! I think I want to buy a set of stock heads to port and polish myself, "MODERATE" cams, valve springs and a dyno tune.

Can I expect the same kind of performance from stock ported heads as I would from aftermarket heads?

How Important is it to upgrade the crank at this point?

Will the injectors need to be upgraded?

Is there anything else I need to consider?

Thanks for your help guys, I really want to get started on this project!
Old 11-17-2012, 05:22 AM
MidNightRunner
2nd Gear Member

Or.... should I be looking at a 3v/4v heads?

Last edited by MidNightRunner; 11-17-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:30 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Doing a 4v head swap would just be a major pain in the butt. I could get you to 340rw w/ a 2v if you were a manual transmission but I don't think it would be cost effective.

I'm not trying to spend your money for you but you could save yourself a huge amount of drama with a complete 4v engine swap and a set of cams.

Injectors will be fine if you stay NA and should still have enough even if you do stay with the 2v. If you bump the compression and go with a radical cam and head port you wont be in the optimal injector percentage but it'll still be tunable. (4v's have different injectors)

If all you want is 20-30 more Hp, drop in some cams and call it a day. They'll raise the power curve as well and you'll be able to enjoy that lighter flywheel. You'll give up the grunt of the low RPM driving characteristics but if you bought the Light flywheel then you already made that choice.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:05 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I.d run the trickflow 2v heads and just run a big compression piston.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:53 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I disagree about the injectors, the 2001 GTs have the orange 19 lb/h units which are hitting 85 to 90% duty cycle at the stock 260 fwHP (221 rwHP). That's why Ford switched to the pink 21 lh/h injectors in late 2002 which brought the duty cycle down to 80% (Ford instituted a review of all power claims after the 1999 Cobra snafu.

I picked up 8 to 10 HP in the higher revs and peak by moving to the FRPP 24 lb/h injectors (and tweaking the injector slopes and MAF curve)--and they hit 90% duty cycle at my current 262 rwHP...
Old 11-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I disagree about the injectors, the 2001 GTs have the orange 19 lb/h units which are hitting 85 to 90% duty cycle at the stock 260 fwHP (221 rwHP). That's why Ford switched to the pink 21 lh/h injectors in late 2002 which brought the duty cycle down to 80% (Ford instituted a review of all power claims after the 1999 Cobra snafu.

I picked up 8 to 10 HP in the higher revs and peak by moving to the FRPP 24 lb/h injectors (and tweaking the injector slopes and MAF curve)--and they hit 90% duty cycle at my current 262 rwHP...
He can do this with a handheld tuner or will he need a pro tuner to dyno out those gains?
Old 11-17-2012, 04:17 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The only handheld I have ever used, the Predator, could not; however there was so much the Predator could not do that I used it less that two weeks before buying Delta Force's (used to be Sniper) Special Forces. SF could do the injector tuning, I use Commando now.

You do not need a dynamometer to optimally tune a car, it's just a convenient tool for measuring the effect of changes to the tune. You can do the same thing with one of the accelerometer based performance tools (I use an old G-Tech Pro), or a stretch of empty road and a stop watch...
Old 11-19-2012, 04:05 PM
MidNightRunner
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
I.d run the trickflow 2v heads and just run a big compression piston.
Looked into the trickflow heads and they are just why out of my price range!
Old 11-19-2012, 04:12 PM
MidNightRunner
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sxynerd
If all you want is 20-30 more Hp, drop in some cams and call it a day. They'll raise the power curve as well and you'll be able to enjoy that lighter flywheel. You'll give up the grunt of the low RPM driving characteristics but if you bought the Light flywheel then you already made that choice.
If I'm gonna crack it open for a cam swap then I'd like to at least polish the heads.

Sounds like I'll change to the pink injectors too.

I have a SCT tuner so I think I'll be ok there.

Any ideas where I can buy used stock 99-04 heads at a good price?
Old 11-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

Look on corral.net or svtperformance, you should be able to find cheap heads all day long just like walking through downtown Atlanta after 9pm.

Quick Reply: cliffyk and uberstang1....