4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

long tube or short tube? and catted x pipe or non catted x pipe

Old 11-24-2012, 09:16 AM
97bluethundergt

Default long tube or short tube? and catted x pipe or non catted x pipe

i have a 97 gt with stock exhuast manifolds and stock h pipe but i have slp lm 1 catback and rear cats deleted and it is loud as hell but i want it to be even louder but keep its deep throaty sound and increase the volume to the point where i can be heard from more than a mile away and i dont know which will give more power and better sound longtube headers or shortube headers also i dont know whether to get catted x pipe or non catted x pipe and put mil eliminators on it please give me your guys opinon also id like to know what brands and where to find them?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:48 AM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Long tubes definitely. As for cats or not, I got an o/r h and it was a bit too much for me. But that will be yourpersonnel preference. You will need to get a hook up on passing smog tests when you get a safety inspection .
Old 11-24-2012, 10:59 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Dont even waste your time with shorties
Old 11-24-2012, 01:36 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

It's not worth the hassle to take off the cats. Other than it being illegal, you aren't really going to see any real power gains.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:20 PM
T.Richardson
1st Gear Member

Personally I like H pipes.. more of a deeper tone, sounds more like a muscle car, and not raspy like the X pipes.

Lethal Performance has more variety of Mid pipes, but you can choose from American Muscle as well. X Pipe, and H pipes

Heres some headers from American Muscle and Lethal Performance Personally I like Kooks or Mac.

Exhausts from American Muscle I personally like Magnaflows and Borlas, just like how they sound. Not as loud as you would like though. Heres some Borlas from Lethal performance

But personally, I dont like too loud, so I normally would go for Borlas or Magnaflows, with long tubes, and an H pipe for more of a muscle car sound.

BUT thats me.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:00 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

like uber said don't waste your time or $ on shorties, and you'll want a catted x, o/r x will sound terrible raspy with the LM1s, people will still hear you from a country mile away with the catted x. It's impossible to have a deep throaty sound with LM1s paired up with an aftermarket midpipe no matter if it's an x or an h, but catted will be a tad less raspy that o/r.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:15 AM
97bluethundergt

so what would be the best set up to get a deep throaty sound like older muscle cars but not sacrafice loudness so headers, midpipe, and catback which is the best to buy as for brand and type?
Old 11-26-2012, 06:01 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 97bluethundergt
so what would be the best set up to get a deep throaty sound like older muscle cars but not sacrafice loudness so headers, midpipe, and catback which is the best to buy as for brand and type?
if you're thinking of ditching the LM1s and you want a deep muscle car tone then go with a chambered muff. Losing the raspiness of the LM1s also allows you to go catless. Any muffler will have a higher sound level with LTs and a midpipe. One I would recommend for alot of sound with a deep tone is the flowmaster super 44s, a little more aggressive than the typical 40s. There's many that sound good though As far as what brand everyone has their own preference. Youtube exhaust clips will help you out a lot.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:09 PM
caaraa
2nd Gear Member

I love this thread already.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 AM
97bluethundergt

alright ill check it out and i appreciate all the help you guys are giving im still pretty new to working on cars but ive been a mustang fanatic since i was 4 years old when my dad brought home a 72 mach 1 so thanks again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: long tube or short tube? and catted x pipe or non catted x pipe