4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2002 Mustang GT price

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 11:16 AM
brys00gt
2nd Gear Member

Where in ma are you. I'm in ri and can keep a look out for you.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:48 PM
99TA5.7

^ Thanks man, id appreciate it. Im from western MA, other side of Boston, and about 15/20 min. away from Hartford CT.

I dont mind doing some driving for a car, I actually bought my 84 Trans Am in Rhode Island when I was 17 in 2009. I think the town was Rumford.

Another question I figured I'd ask is do any of you guys know about lemon laws/warranty laws around the area? I know in MA if you sell a car over, I think $700, it has to pass safety/emission inspection. If anything fails the seller is responsible for fixing it or giving the buyer a refund. I dont think thats true of CT, and I dont know about RI either.

Also, whats the deal with emmisions for foxbodies and new edges? I know new edges are newer and still have to pass emmissions testing, but Foxes are exempt I think. That being said, are you safe doing any exhaust work? What is the line between being ok and failing? I know it varies between where you go for inspection, but to be on the safe side I'll say Im looking for the most average shop standards because I dont really have any buddies who do inspections to pass me if im far from legal.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99TA5.7
^ Thanks man, id appreciate it. Im from western MA, other side of Boston, and about 15/20 min. away from Hartford CT.

I dont mind doing some driving for a car, I actually bought my 84 Trans Am in Rhode Island when I was 17 in 2009. I think the town was Rumford.

Another question I figured I'd ask is do any of you guys know about lemon laws/warranty laws around the area? I know in MA if you sell a car over, I think $700, it has to pass safety/emission inspection. If anything fails the seller is responsible for fixing it or giving the buyer a refund. I dont think thats true of CT, and I dont know about RI either.

Also, whats the deal with emmisions for foxbodies and new edges? I know new edges are newer and still have to pass emmissions testing, but Foxes are exempt I think. That being said, are you safe doing any exhaust work? What is the line between being ok and failing? I know it varies between where you go for inspection, but to be on the safe side I'll say Im looking for the most average shop standards because I dont really have any buddies who do inspections to pass me if im far from legal.
In mass, 96 and older is exempt from tailpipe emissions. And 98 and newer requires an OBD check.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:24 AM
99TA5.7

They still have to pass a visual test thou, as far as making sure the cats are there and stuff right?

That foxbody link i posted earlier actually sold yesterday, thats no longer an option and I cant find many clean ones around tbh so Im pretty much set back to a 99-04.

The 63k mile one I drove had an intake, throttle body, flowmaster catback, K&N filter, and some other mods. I dont remember the intake/throttle body brand, I wanna say "Professional Motorsports" or something like that. Assuming just those mods, how much HP do you think it has over stock? Im thinking maybe like 15/20
Old 12-01-2012, 09:30 AM
99TA5.7

I looked at the car laws for selling as well, the dealer is only gonna give me $500 for my truck and Im sure I can clear at least a grand private sale, hopefully $12/1300. Very clean truck with 4WD, its the right time of year to sell a vehicle like that.

MA Lemon laws state that if a vehicle is sold for over $750, it has to pass an inspection (which it wont). Anyone know is theres a way to protect yourself from a buyer coming back as long as you disclosed all the issues and hes aware of them? I geuss writing as-is, with known defects, etc. and having the buyer sign it still doesnt mean ****. MA has got some weird laws, I figured maybe there was a way I could sell it for parts or repair and not have to worry about it coming back to haunt me. If i tell him all the litte issues, he agrees at the time of sale, and he drives away with a decent truck with 4WD for a grand that runs good, then he shouldnt really be able to complain and bring it back. Just a hassle when Im trying to move on with buying a new car.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:39 AM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

My neighbor is a car salesman, he said none of the dealers use KBB, they use NADA guide for trade ins. I'm just throwing that out there so you can get a better idea of what you should pay for a car and not get your hopes up on your trade. They even have an app if you have an iPhone.
If you have a signed contract with a potential buyer they shouldn't be able to touch you. They are acknowledging that they are aware if the problems of the car. Just ensure you both have a copy.

Last edited by Seabee1993; 12-01-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99TA5.7
They still have to pass a visual test thou, as far as making sure the cats are there and stuff right?
Yup.

And the dealers do indeed use NADA, I work at a classic car dealer and even we use NADA.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:48 PM
'02gtgarrett
2nd Gear Member

i bought mine for 9k with 47k miles in near flawless condition.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Try eBay motors. You can at least hun it down to closest available car, then show up at th elot and check it out.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:25 PM
99TA5.7

Thanks for the replys guys.

I did try ebay motors, Didnt find all that much tho. I geuss Western MA is a hard place to buy muscle cars haha. I sold my truck tho, so I think im gonna jump on this 02 GT with 63k miles.

Hes a dealer, he was originally asking $10k but he knocked it down to $9k on an internet ad and I held him on that. He says $9k is out the door price. Like I said, its the dark red color with 63k, tan leather, all power, and has the mach stereo. Flowmaster catback, 4 new toyo tires, aftermarket throttle body, intake, K&N CAI, and short throw shifter.

I'm gonna try to get him down to $8700, but I really dont think hes going to budge and I think id be ok paying $9k for it, still below NADA guide value and with the low miles plus the aftermarkets make it seem wirth $9k to me. Hes got an autocheck report and Im gonna bring it to a mechanic before I make the deal to make sure the car checks out. I'll keep you guys updated, thanks again.

Quick Reply: 2002 Mustang GT price