4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2002 Mustang GT price

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 05:06 PM
99TA5.7

Default 2002 Mustang GT price

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I can move it if needed.

Anyway, Ive been in the market for a Stang for awhile, and I finally sold my bike this weekend so I have the down payment cash and I'm waiting to hear back on the loan amount. I'm in the market for around 8-9k. I had some free time today so I went to 2 dealers who had Mustangs that I'd be into.

The one I thought would be the best was an 02 GT 5-speed with 63k miles. Had a flowmaster either cat-back or just the mufflers, sounded good though. K&N air filter, some aftermarket throttle body, short throw shifter, and it looked like the intake may have been aftermarket. New Toyo tires on it also. It was in good overall shape, a few small dings but nothing that noticeable. Tan leather interior and it had the premium Mach sound system.

I drove it, it seemed like it ran/shifted/stopped good. He was asking $10000 originally, but he lowered it to $8999 as an internet price and I held him to that so thats what its at right now.

Is that a good price for the car? 63k is pretty low, $9k for this car seems like a good price but I'm new to Mustangs so I figured Id ask you guys. Ive had a couple F-bodies so Im used to the muscle car thing, I know how they are as daily drivers and Im fine with it. I told him I'd think about it and get back to him in a few days. I'd want to take it to a shop and have them put it up and look everything over before I handed the cash over, so if everything checks out good then I definitly think I'll buy it, as long as the price really is right.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:14 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

you may be able to find one for a little less somewhere but that is certainly a fair price if it's in nice shape and mechanically sound. You might also want to see if you can find a steal on a '03 Mach, one with more mileage may not be that much more expensive. Just a thought. Good luck.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:26 PM
99TA5.7

Hey thanks for the reply. My first choice when I started looking was either a 99-01 Cobra or a Mach 1, but I couldnt find any in my price range, Ive only seen like $12k + for the Machs. I wish I could get one lol but my price range right now doesnt allow it.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:56 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Yeah I feel ya on the budget thing......check out my sig and you'll see that, lol. Be open to stangs that may be a little bit of a drive to go get. There's ALOT of stangs always for sale. Spending a day to go get the one you really want is well worth it. Craigslist, autotrader....there's a ton of them to look through.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:46 PM
99TA5.7

yeah man way ahead of you on that, I have to buy from a dealer though which limits me (and also makes it so I pay more) because Id be using a loan to buy the Stang. Ive got 2500 to put down and I can get 500 for my 88 dodge as a trade in.

I know I could score a nice foxbody for around 5 grand, I thought about it for awhile and it was between a foxbody GT and a new edge, but I need the car I get to be a daily driver and I just dont know if daily driving a fox is a great idea being how old it is. I need something reliable.

Theres not many Stangs around the New England area (Im from MA), especially at the dealer's lots.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:50 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I paid 9k for my 03 w/85k miles back in June.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:20 AM
scott4.6
2nd Gear Member

I just sold my 03 this monday for 9k.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

Honestly $9k seems a little high to me. I'd try to get it down a little more or look elsewhere. My car is in nearly perfect condition with 72k on it, one small chip on the door, other than that the paint is perfect, interior is spotless, and I think I'd be lucky to get $7500 for it.
If I were in the market for another used stang, I would try to find one untouched, no mods. To me that signals it's been driven hard. And most used GT's have been driven hard anyways.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Knechtion
1st Gear Member

you dont need to buy from a dealer if you need to get a loan. i bought my mustang last may from a private seller and got a loan. unless you really need to do the trade in with the truck. Good luck with the car search
Old 11-30-2012, 09:45 AM
99TA5.7

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/3281807077.html

I know this is the 4.6 part of the forum, so ill move it if i have to, but how does that link look?

If I dont need to buy from a dealer, then that opens me up to the option of a foxbody again, which performance-wise should be the most bang for my buck. Any car I buy is going to get brought to a shop first, Ill throw one of the guys there some $ to have them look it over and make sure I'm not getting screwed. I work on my cars myself for the most part, but im still no mechanic and theres alot I dont know so it cant hurt. If the guy selling it doesnt want to let me take ti to a shop, then I'll walk away right there.

How much do you guys think the foxbody in that link is pushing? Trick flow set-up for the intake and cam, and 351 heads plus some other stuff. If its clean and hasnt been beaten too hard then theres no reason it shouldnt be a reliable daily driver, although the mechanic that looks at it will tell me where i stand on that one.

Quick Reply: 2002 Mustang GT price