4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Intake Manifold Woes

Old 12-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Horus

Default Intake Manifold Woes

Taking out my intake manifold, got to the very last bolt (in the rear right, if youre looking the car head on). Now that Im there, theres a metal bracket blocking the bolt so I cant take it off. I didnt see this anywhere in the manual, and I have no idea how to take it off. Its where the wiring harness rests on top of, if that makes sense. All I need is to get rid of this damn thing and I can finally get this job done!
Old 12-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Horus

Name:  ir4pL.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  103.0 KB

Here is a pic of the spot Im talking about. Its not here, but its in the location of the red circle. Its a piece of metal that comes from behind the engine block and lies directly over the bolt in that location. It doesnt really look like it serves any purpose, other than to set the wiring harness on, and to make me miserable.

This pic is from another person's install, I couldnt quite get a good shot of my own vehicle..
Old 12-24-2012, 11:55 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

i was scratching head earlier on this. the bolts are on the backside of the block. that metal peice is just for holding the wiring harness. good luck
Old 12-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Horus

Damn, I was afraid of that. Any idea what size or type they are? Guess I can try and get a torque wrench back there and pray I dont drop it :/
Old 12-24-2012, 09:42 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

should be able to use a wrench, but no clue what size
Old 12-25-2012, 04:57 AM
Horus

Change of plans. Im just going to cut this thing off lol. Still going to be a sheisty job because its thick metal too. Why did they feel it necessary to have this thick piece of metal for the wiring bracket to rest on...surely a thin piece of aluminum would have sufficed just as well? Or plastic...or nothing?
Old 12-25-2012, 09:25 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I have never found it that much of a PITA to remove?
Old 12-25-2012, 09:47 AM
slipperman
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I have never found it that much of a PITA to remove?
Agreed.
I saw that bracket was going to be in the way, so I used a box wrench to remove the bolt.
I needed to "double wrench" creating more leverage to break it loose. It was slow going but upon re-assembly, I substituted a socket head cap screw so I could use an allen driver.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:06 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

A rotator ratchet like this from Stanley can make a lot of tight space work much easier. Once the bolt/nut is broken free you can twist the handle back and forth to fully remove it.

Sort of difficult to explain,

The 1/4" drive model will fit in almost anywhere. Other tool makers make them as well...
Old 12-27-2012, 10:16 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Gear wrench ftw

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Woes