4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

96 'stang GT SLP Loudmouth Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 05:29 PM
St. Louis Rams

Default 96 'stang GT SLP Loudmouth Questions

I have a 1996 Mustang GT with everything stock for the most part. I want to get the SLP Loudmouth exhaust system to make my car sound pretty mean.

Question 1. Would all it take to make it sound gnarly is just the Loudmouth exhaust system, like these from American Muscle? Which is better? That's with everything else stock.

Loudmouth I
http://www.americanmuscle.com/slpexhaust1.html
Loudmouth II
http://www.americanmuscle.com/slp-lo...ack-94-97.html

Question 2. Is there anywhere cheaper besides American Muscle?

Question 3. I drive pretty normal, I don't hot rod around town. Would it be loud enough to get a ticket from how loud these are?

Question 4. How much would these cost to install? I am no good with any sort of installation.

Question 5. Would it sound like this?
Old 12-28-2012, 07:40 PM
T.Richardson
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by St. Louis Rams
I have a 1996 Mustang GT with everything stock for the most part. I want to get the SLP Loudmouth exhaust system to make my car sound pretty mean.

Question 1. Would all it take to make it sound gnarly is just the Loudmouth exhaust system, like these from American Muscle? Which is better? That's with everything else stock.

Loudmouth I
Loudmouth II

Question 3. I drive pretty normal, I don't hot rod around town. Would it be loud enough to get a ticket from how loud these are?

Question 4. How much would these cost to install? I am no good with any sort of installation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1otknDduHY

1. Im thinking of an X pipe to go with the SLP's

2. You could try lethalperformance.com or ebay?

3. It could possibly.

4. Depends on if you want them welded on or not and depends on the shops labor costs.

5. yes
Old 12-28-2012, 09:03 PM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

summitracing.com probably be the cheapest bet..
Old 12-29-2012, 11:14 AM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

1. The LM2's are relatively tame with the stock H. So if you plan on keeping the stick h then I'd go LM1.

2. American Muscle is probably your best bet as far as price because of the free shipping and forum member discount.

3. I used to get pulled over all the time with my LM1's so it depends on your area.

4. Installation in really easy. If you have a ratchet set and a hacksaw your'e golden.

5. The aftermarket x will give you some more volume and a little more rasp.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:02 PM
MyCobra4.6

If you want the Slp sound , just installing the cat-back LM1's will be good , If you add a cat/less x-pipe it will open it up real loud , my cobra sounded better with a cat/less x-pipe and LM1's ... Then when I installed longtubes with the x and Slp it was just plain out loud .. No tone , no mellow at cruise speeds although Everone I raced missed a gear or over rev'ed , saying they couldnt hear their car for mine being so loud .. I still love it though because I love it loud !! If I ever change it the magnapacks sound awesome
Old 12-30-2012, 03:13 PM
St. Louis Rams

What is the difference between LM1 and LM2?
Old 12-30-2012, 05:20 PM
MyCobra4.6

The LM1's are hollow inside " no packing material at all , it's Basicly a hollow shell of a bullet style muffler and the LM2's have packing with a perforated tube going thru it .. The 2's still have that Slp growl .. From 1-10 loud level the 1's are 10 and the 2's around a 6
Old 12-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

Like I said the LM2's will be pretty tame especially with the stock H but they have a much better tone than the LM1's. I've had both with my MRT catted H and while I loved my LM1's, they can get obnoxious after a while. When I switched to the 2's, they were a bit too quiet so I cut them open and removed some of the packing. Just loud enough with a great tone and not overly annoying.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:45 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

Originally Posted by St. Louis Rams

Loudmouth I
Loudmouth II

1: I prefer the II. mellower when yours cruising, loud when you want it.

2: Check Ebay, summitracing or Jegs.

3: Nope. GF' has LMII's on her gt with an O/R X-pipe, and no problems. keep it under 2k and its jsut as tame as my flowbastards.

4: Its so simple, even you can do it.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:07 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

You have a lot of great questions. Let me try and help you out here!

1. Yes! The SLP Exhaust system is extremely throaty and sounds awesome. Just a cat-back is plenty if you're just looking for a little rumble!

2. I'm not sure if the system is listed cheaper elsewhere on the web. However, we do offer price matching. So if you do find this system cheaper else where, but want to order from us feel free to hit me up and we'll gladly match/beat our competitors price!

3. No. This system isn't out of control to the point where you'll get pulled over driving normal!

4. The install on a Cat-back system is pretty simple. I can't imagine someone would charge you anymore then $200 bucks to install the SLP Catback. (that's on the high side)

5. It would sound really similar to that SN95. However, that guy is running an Off-Road Mid-Pipe as well! So it won't be as loud as that!

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance. Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.