4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Acceleration Problem

Old 12-28-2012, 09:15 PM
h82lose_24

Default Acceleration Problem

Whats up all!? I recently purchased my 04 GT and ive had problems from the get go. I bought it from a used dealership and the night i brought it home, the check engine light came on. I broght it back first thing in the morning and they pulled a code that said there was a miss-fire in cylinder 6. They pulled the coil and found that there was "water" surrounding the spark plug disturbing the current. They cleaned it out and it ran great after that... 3 days later, same problem. This time the code said that it was cylinder 8. And again, "water" in the hole. Their reasoning for the "water" is because someone pressure washed the engine. I asked them to remove all the coils and clean out any water that is where it shouldnt be. Again, I got the car back and it ran great for a few months. I started noticing a stutter in acceleration but not while cruising. This stutter gradually got worse over a few days. I was eventually able to notice a differance at idle. I then unplugged each coil one by one till the idle didnt change. I pulled the coil from the #8 cylinder to find antifreze in the hole. Great! I asked aruond and everybody said the same thing. Head gasket. Being that it has been 4 months since i purchased the car, the dealership wouldnt warranty the work. I am mechanically inclined, so i went ahead and did the work.... Car is back together and running great. I think better than before. Until two days ago. The stutter came back. Im assuming it has something to do with either coils or injectors. Any suggestions?
Old 12-29-2012, 10:45 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

A blown head gasket could not make coolant puddle up in the plug well, however bad intake manifold or manifold gaskets would. It is somewhat common for the intake manifolds on our cars to develop leaks, mine let go under the thermostat housing at 110k miles.

Also, to make sure we are on the same page, cylinder #8 is that nearest the firewall on the driver's side--is that the one to which you refer?

Old 12-30-2012, 01:48 PM
h82lose_24

Yes. #8 is nearest the fire wall on driver side... I did figure out the problem I am having now. My hood scoop leaks. With all the rain we've been having and my car parked at an incline in the driveway, the water pools up in the scoop and slowly leaks through any seems. It leaks right on top of the intake manifold... I thought it was strange when I started inspecting the coils and noticed they had water on top of them.