4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Looking at a 2000 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 08:27 PM
stay_cool

Default Looking at a 2000 Mustang GT

Hey all, new here so sorry if this is in the wrong place or if I'm breaking some forum courtesies =/

anywho, I'm looking to purchase a 2000 mustang GT. I'd be trading my car, so I'm not concerned with price. I'm more concerned if anyone can see anything in the pics of the car or engine bay that throws any red flags up at them.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/3509444839.html

I also plan on having a mechanic look it over, but they tend to get star-crossed eyes for repairs... any and all help is greatly appreciated! Hopefully I can be visiting here much more often =)
Old 12-30-2012, 08:33 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stay_cool
Hey all, new here so sorry if this is in the wrong place or if I'm breaking some forum courtesies =/

anywho, I'm looking to purchase a 2000 mustang GT. I'd be trading my car, so I'm not concerned with price. I'm more concerned if anyone can see anything in the pics of the car or engine bay that throws any red flags up at them.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/3509444839.html

I also plan on having a mechanic look it over, but they tend to get star-crossed eyes for repairs... any and all help is greatly appreciated! Hopefully I can be visiting here much more often =)
looks to be in decent condition. You dont want to wait and get a manual? alot more fun to drive, but to each is own. The miles are a little too high for my liking as well. keep us posted on your decision
Old 12-30-2012, 08:38 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I liked it, and then I read this.

17 inch Cobra R rims (black w/ purple trim)
Who the heck does that????
Old 12-30-2012, 08:40 PM
stay_cool

Originally Posted by xx10Gt
looks to be in decent condition. You dont want to wait and get a manual? alot more fun to drive, but to each is own. The miles are a little too high for my liking as well. keep us posted on your decision
Well, the wife has to be able to drive it and she couldn't for the life of her learn to drive my 94 3000GT VR-4 (god I miss that car...) lol it's just easier
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I'm also guessing the "loose" bearing in the back is a wheel bearing going bad.
stay_cool

Originally Posted by 1slow67
I liked it, and then I read this.

Who the heck does that????
I'm not sure, but it doesn't look TERRIBLE lol. I'd be swapping for my buddy's mach1 rims either way =)
Old 12-30-2012, 08:42 PM
stay_cool

Originally Posted by 1slow67
I'm also guessing the "loose" bearing in the back is a wheel bearing going bad.
Thanks, I'll definitely tell the mechanic to give special attention to that! So far the feedback is much appreciated guys =)
Old 12-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

Besides the "loose bearing" the other red flag, for me anyways, is the mods. Generally when you have a sporty car with mods that signals the car hasn't been driven softly. I'd rather buy a car stock and mod it myself with the parts that I want.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:40 AM
stay_cool

Originally Posted by Chubstang
Besides the "loose bearing" the other red flag, for me anyways, is the mods. Generally when you have a sporty car with mods that signals the car hasn't been driven softly. I'd rather buy a car stock and mod it myself with the parts that I want.
This is true... I honestly am expecting that though, hence the mechanic trip. If he sees anything too terrible, I'm out. Probably will take it to a ford dealer for a look over, thanks for the tip though!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:00 AM
MaxxRPM
1st Gear Member

Did they even make purple GTs?...........(that's one).

The "loose bearing" is probably the rear end going out.........(two).
Just my personal preference but I hate tinted windows and the wheels would have to go......(three, four).
Like the hood scoop but hate the 4.6 insignia.....(five).
Moved the spoiler back?......Why?.......(That's definately six)

..........Good thing is they already replaced the all plastic intake manifold.....
..........Bad thing is it looks like a Dorman replacement part (the Ford updated intake is much better)......(seven).
.........And I think the price is way too high (especially for the Chicago area).

..........But if you just had to have this car, I wouldn't give a penny over 5K for it............

Last edited by MaxxRPM; 12-31-2012 at 08:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 2000 Mustang GT