4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Anyone made a stock GT hood scoop functional???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 02:19 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

its really a bad idea. if water starts collecting around the spark plugs/coils, it could cause coil failure. i have also heard several accounts where ppl did this and the scoop was ripped from the hood at high speeds. plus with our intakes being a composite material, it sheds heat better anyways
Old 01-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

You're talking about cutting the hood? You would have to be quite the accomplished body man to make that look good. Along with all the other chances at failure, leaks, separation, engine damage, coil failure like schoolboy mentioned. Unless you do body work everyday, wouldn't touch it. Or look into functional SVO hoods, or ram air hoods. If it isn't broke don't fix it!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:13 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Seabee1993
You're talking about cutting the hood? You would have to be quite the accomplished body man to make that look good. Along with all the other chances at failure, leaks, separation, engine damage, coil failure like schoolboy mentioned. Unless you do body work everyday, wouldn't touch it. Or look into functional SVO hoods, or ram air hoods. If it isn't broke don't fix it!
lot of these ppl would just dril holes honeycomb peice and cut a hole inthe hood. you really didnt know it was done until the hood was popped or the scoop came flying off!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:19 PM
EthanBarnard
1st Gear Member

I'm just worried the the stock scoop wont be able to take the added drag resistance and it will get ripped off. IDK maybe ill try it some time haha
Old 01-17-2013, 09:46 PM
Mojoem4n

Originally Posted by EthanBarnard
I'm just worried the the stock scoop wont be able to take the added drag resistance and it will get ripped off. IDK maybe ill try it some time haha
instead of cutting holes in your hood, maybe try ur roof- like I did!!!

Name:  pZNFR.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  37.6 KB
Old 01-18-2013, 12:50 AM
EthanBarnard
1st Gear Member

Haha yeah right.... but seriously all i would do is drill holes in the honey comb and drill holes through the hood, and no one would even be able to tell. And I dont see why water in the engine compartment is a big deal either, WATER ALREADY GETS IN IT.... The things arent waterproof every time you wash the car water gets in it... And about the body work, there would literally be no body work needed, but besides that fact, yes, i am a pretty experienced with body work! like i said, and school boy said, the only problem would be if that scoop flew. haha idk maybe ill try it out, we'll see
Old 01-18-2013, 05:02 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Do you have a heat problem now or are you just looking to modify this thing???

Putting air in the top of the engine bay is working against the design of how these motors cool themselves (liquid cooled). Want lower temps, change your thermostat. Want better cooling, get a bigger radiator and a heat EXTRACTION hood. For better performance you need cool air in the front of the raditator, then get the hot air out as fast as possible. Putting cool air into the top behind the radiator (on top of the motor) is actually going to slow the ability of the air to pass through the radiator. (All of this is pointless on a street car, but if you really want to upgrade, do it the right way.)

Originally Posted by Mojoem4n
the turbo wing got me atleast 150hp as the increased down force puts more wheel to the ground,

Stupid ricer wings :Look:
Old 01-18-2013, 10:21 PM
RMK01GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Putting cool air into the top behind the radiator (on top of the motor) is actually going to slow the ability of the air to pass through the radiator.
Not sure I understand the physics of this...

cool air has less pressure, and cool air at high velocity has even less pressure.

(I would think that by lowering the temperature inside the engine compartment it would allow the air to move through the radiator better because at high temperature the pressure is higher)

please explain this for me
Old 01-19-2013, 05:48 PM
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

I think the air being forced in behind the radiator would create a high pressure zone where there is usually a low pressure zone. This is what would impede airflow. Air temp doesn't really matter much in this case.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:40 PM
EthanBarnard
1st Gear Member

yeah i guess that makes sense... I am just disappointed that ford didnt make the hood scoop a functional one haha.

Quick Reply: Anyone made a stock GT hood scoop functional???