4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Advice on suspension and bracing 01 vert

Old 01-17-2013, 12:34 PM
xterm11
1st Gear Member

Default Advice on suspension and bracing 01 vert

I have a 2001 Gt vert that I picked up after I managed to total my 01 coupe this summer. What I am looking for is some pointers on bracing the chassis and enhancing the suspension.

I know there has been quite a lot of posts about suspension set ups but most of what I've read doesn't really fit my goals.

The vert is currently stock except for an exhaust, however, in the spring I will be installing my Vortech s-trim setup from the totalled coupe. Before I do that and turn the chassis into a pretzel I was looking for pointers on bracing it to handle the 390-400rwhp I am shooting for. Obviously FLSFC are a must but would Maximum Motorsports FLSFC be enough or should I look into the more expensive but better quality Griggs racing Complete Frame kit? Would the Griggs setup be overkill for the street? Should I look into strut tower braces or stock K-member braces? If so which brands will stiff the chassis best?

The second thing I am looking for is advise a good spring & shock/strut combo. I have read several reviews on the Koni Orange STR,T's, Yellow Sports and Bilstein HD's. As this car is a daily driver my ultimate goals are for it to handle well in the occasional semi-aggressive street driving. NHV are not a concern for me (if they were I would have bought a caddy). Would Koni Orange shocks/struts and Ford Racing B springs, give me solid handling without breaking the bank?

Further down the line I may be considering switching to a T/A, Panhard bar setup but that will be several years down the line.

Sorry for running on but, I'd rather not spend the money on something way overkill for street use or end up spending the money on a crappy setup that I'll need to change for something better. Thanks in advance for any tips.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:05 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

heres a short list of my mods and a couple pics
Maximum Motorsports welded full length subframe connectors

Maximum Motorsports k-member/front suspension

Maximum Motorsports bolt-in 4 point roll bar (bottom plates welded in though)

upr bottom torque boxes welded in

03 cobra irs

rear irs mounting bracket 3 bolt brace

*theres one jack stand under the k-member on the drivers side (yellow), one on the rear part of the subframe connector on the drivers side (silver/aluminum) and a jack on the passenger side front with the yellow jack stand there incase of jack failier. the passenger rear jack stand was only removed for the pic, it was only holding air up at the time. also talk with jazzer on here.

Name:  IMG_0578.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  96.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0583.jpg
Size:  68.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0582.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  68.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0579.jpg
Size:  69.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0581.jpg
Size:  64.4 KB
Old 01-17-2013, 02:57 PM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by xterm11
I have a 2001 Gt vert that I picked up after I managed to total my 01 coupe this summer. What I am looking for is some pointers on bracing the chassis and enhancing the suspension.

I know there has been quite a lot of posts about suspension set ups but most of what I've read doesn't really fit my goals.

The vert is currently stock except for an exhaust, however, in the spring I will be installing my Vortech s-trim setup from the totalled coupe. Before I do that and turn the chassis into a pretzel I was looking for pointers on bracing it to handle the 390-400rwhp I am shooting for. Obviously FLSFC are a must but would Maximum Motorsports FLSFC be enough or should I look into the more expensive but better quality Griggs racing Complete Frame kit? Would the Griggs setup be overkill for the street? Should I look into strut tower braces or stock K-member braces? If so which brands will stiff the chassis best?

The second thing I am looking for is advise a good spring & shock/strut combo. I have read several reviews on the Koni Orange STR,T's, Yellow Sports and Bilstein HD's. As this car is a daily driver my ultimate goals are for it to handle well in the occasional semi-aggressive street driving. NHV are not a concern for me (if they were I would have bought a caddy). Would Koni Orange shocks/struts and Ford Racing B springs, give me solid handling without breaking the bank?

Further down the line I may be considering switching to a T/A, Panhard bar setup but that will be several years down the line.

Sorry for running on but, I'd rather not spend the money on something way overkill for street use or end up spending the money on a crappy setup that I'll need to change for something better. Thanks in advance for any tips.
I have an 02 gt convertible and so far has MM CC Plates, Eibach Pro Kit Springs and MM FLSFC welded in. Stiffened it up a little bit from stock subframes. Going to be putting all new suspension under it though. Only got 47k but needs a control arm bushing so its getting all new control arm bushings, steeda x2 ball joints, steeda bumpsteer, new mm sway bar links, bilsteins all 4 corners just came in today too (heck of a deal too!) and rear lca (still unsure on brand though)

Name:  20130117_131523.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  96.4 KB

I will have to let you know how everything is! and here are my lasered painted subframe connectors! go ahead flame away!

Name:  20121029_071648-1.jpg
Size:  109.4 KB
Old 01-17-2013, 04:49 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I had an '04 GT convertible daily driver with Strange 10-way adjustable struts & shocks and Eibach Pro Springs. It was a nice cruiser with the dampeners set on soft, but a nice handler with the dampening turned up. Here are those parts:

http://www.uprproducts.com/strange-m...-strut-94.html
http://www.uprproducts.com/strange-m...-strut-94.html
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-e...prings-v8.html

And of course, I'd suggest UPR for the FLSFCs
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-f...onnectors.html
Old 01-17-2013, 08:28 PM
xterm11
1st Gear Member

Willv the UPR or MM subframes be enough for a blown GT? I would rather go with them for the price but has anyone had any frame issues with a blown vert with just the lower sub frames?