4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Suspension question/opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 06:54 PM
foxtrot
2nd Gear Member

Default Suspension question/opinion

My 1998 has 115K miles. Its running the original struts and shocks. The rear shocks bounce a little when I push down on it hard. So they for sure need to be replaced. The front its really hard to tell not much bounce. Other than leaking oil is there any definative way to determine if the struts need to be replaced? At 113K I can only assume they need it and to just do the real seems kinda cheep assed.

The second question is has any one used the Koni STR.T's? Do you like them? How might they compare to the Strange 10 way? I am not racing just looking for the best balance of $ to performance over crap like Monroe. Funny I can get the Strange for the same price as the Koni. Not sure I need justifiability but I suppose all else being equal that's a plus. I am thinking about replacing the struts/shocks and shock mounts if your reply's are as i would expect.

Thanks!

Last edited by foxtrot; 01-20-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:17 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

At that mileage, I would replace them all.

I have the Koni STR.T's on my Vert and I like them. Mine are in conjunction with Vogtland lowering springs and Steeda ball joints, but I would Estimate the Koni's to be equal to the softest setting on the Strange units. FAR better than what you would get from say Monroe or the like but not kidney punching either. I am running my isos still as well.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:40 PM
foxtrot
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Steve that's the way I was leaning from all the reviews I could find here and elsewhere.

What is isos subframe stiffeners?

Curious I have like 6 or 7 inches between the rubber and the wheel well with my stock size tire 255 45 17. Looks kind like an off road vehicle lol.

Was thinking of putting in lowering springs but a little intimated by the effort. Do you need to compress the springs to get them in/out or can I just pull down on the control arm and simply take them out? I know I would need cc plates most likes and would just do that.

The thing is all that i have read here is like don't bother doing this its not worth the geometry hassle and ride quality degradation.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:30 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

If your not racing or anything at all Id just get a set of monroe sensetracks all around and be done, at that mileage and age I would just replace them all, maybe even the quad shocks if u have stock control arms as well.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

I contacted Maximum Motorsports, their guy helped me out with what direction I wanted to go with my set up.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:40 PM
foxtrot
2nd Gear Member

Uberstang never thought I would hear anyone recommend Monroe on this forum. I am not doing any racing but like to have sold handling as this is why I drive this kind of car and not Park avenue

I think I will spend a bit more after my reading all the material i can on the Koni's. once question is what are quad shocks? I looked and it appears they are an add on to the existing rear suspension in a different plane. What do they do and can they be added later if I decide to see if they can improve handling for a decent price?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:21 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by foxtrot
Uberstang never thought I would hear anyone recommend Monroe on this forum. I am not doing any racing but like to have sold handling as this is why I drive this kind of car and not Park avenue

I think I will spend a bit more after my reading all the material i can on the Koni's. once question is what are quad shocks? I looked and it appears they are an add on to the existing rear suspension in a different plane. What do they do and can they be added later if I decide to see if they can improve handling for a decent price?
I'd recommend the Strange 10-way adjustable shocks and struts for a street car. They work well and the price is right. I ran them on my '04 GT Convertible and their adjustability gives you the option to set it up for comfy cruising, or you can pull over and set it on kill in less than two minutes with no tools.

http://www.uprproducts.com/strange-m...-strut-94.html
http://www.uprproducts.com/strange-m...-shock-94.html

The quad shocks were a bandaid to control wheel hop on the horrible factory control arms. If you upgrade your control arms, you can remove the quad shocks entirely. These control arms will allow you to do that, (and improve grip).

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-c...nsion-kit.html
Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 AM
foxtrot
2nd Gear Member

Hum Strange is a known racing name. I suppose these would be well made.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:48 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Koni STR-T units are what I would get if I were you, but that is mostly due to the quality reputation of Koni dampers. They represent a very good performance bang for the buck. They are not an all out performance unit, but are far better than factory units so I doubt you would have any regrets with the Koni dampers.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:07 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

My car is a street/strip setup and my strange 10-ways are all I will ever run.

Quick Reply: Suspension question/opinion