4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bought a 96 gt tonight...Lots of CEL codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

I would also pressure test the cooling system if the engine checks out to rule out the dreaded cracked intake manifold. Hook up a pressure tester (don't know if you can rent those or not) to the coolant reservoir and get the engine to operating temperature to be sure the thermostat is open. After that shut her down and pressurize it to the PSI listed on the cap. If it starts dropping then you have a leak. If it holds pressure you can rule that out.

Bear in mind a little white smoke in the morning may not be smoke at all. That's pretty normal especially in the winter months.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:33 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Why do so many refer to "the dreaded intake manifold"? As things go, and of all things that could go wrong with a 10-year old (or more) car, spending $250 and 2 to 3 hours is relatively minor
Old 01-22-2013, 09:03 PM
gmb96gt

I hope it's the dreaded intake manifold. lol

I'll ask about the tests tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:12 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by gmb96gt
I hope it's the dreaded intake manifold. lol

I'll ask about the tests tomorrow. Thanks.
I agree, that would be great...
Old 01-23-2013, 07:18 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Is it oil smoke? I imagine with two cylinders down it might just be loading up on fuel.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:23 AM
gmb96gt

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Is it oil smoke? I imagine with two cylinders down it might just be loading up on fuel.
It could be. I can't tell.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:30 AM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

I just say "dreaded" intake manifold because it's so common on the 4.6. I have no clue how many of these I have put on various cars. And it can be an intimidating thing for someone who has never tinkered with there car even though it's quite an easy repair. Plus if you call a dealership they will tell you the intake is $700.

Just a tip for the OP, if your intake is bad and you put it on yourself. Which you should because it is very simple. Follow the proper tightening procedure and don't over tighten the bolts as it could cause an improper seal or even another crack. Also don't use power tools to put it back on.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:54 PM
gmb96gt

I'm dropping the car off at the shop tomorrow and they said it will probably be friday before they can run the tests. I'm not new to working on my cars, but this is my first mustang, and only my second ford(f150, didn't have it long, wrecked) . I've had camaros for the most part. I'm not afraid to change head gaskets or intake.

One thing I've have notices is water dripping from the exhaust. It stops but it really seems to be excessive. At first I thought it was just because it was cold outside, but I don't think so anymore. Guess we'll find out.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:05 PM
gmb96gt

So now the car is not smoking. I let it idle for about 20 minutes then took it to the gas station and back and let it idle longer. Nothing. I did see where water had dripped on the concrete after I come out of the store.

I will say this, today was a warmer day. A friend told me I've been freaking out over exhaust steam, but the thing is, once the car warms up, shouldn't the steam stop? At first I thought it was just steam, but it never cleared up.

The shop is charging 70 bucks to run the tests. They said if there's a problem they will be able to pinpoint whats going on. I'm wondering if I should save my money, but it's probably better I let them take a look.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:10 PM
gmb96gt

Something I just thought of..I changed the thermostat last night. I didn't have any antifreeze so I temporarily filled it with water. Does the just antifreeze burn white or would water do the same?

Quick Reply: Bought a 96 gt tonight...Lots of CEL codes