4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Battery died, now won't start.... II

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 02:53 PM
DerbyCity2004GT

Default Battery died, now won't start.... II

Hey Guys & Gals, I am trying to help my neighbor... he owns a 2004 GT Convertible (4.6L?) with 7,000 miles (yes this is correct mileage), car sat in garage for past 4 months and battery died (totally dead). Battery replaced, but engine will not start.. Cranks like crazy, just makes no attempt to fire. I am thinking dead battery tripped an anti theft device (factory alarm) and this is what is preventing the vehicle from running. I have confirmed that the fuel shut off valve in truck is set (ready to go). There is not a shradder valve on the fuel rail that I can see (chrome covers), so I can not confirm that fuel is or is not getting to fuel rails. All the fuses in the PDB look new (the entire car looks new). This vehicle even still smells new... so I am not interested in doing anymore to it than replacing a fuse or re-setting an anti theft device... can anyone one offer any advice on possible anti theft component that may have been tripped when battery died?
Old 02-14-2013, 04:40 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

There is no fuel rail port to check press on the 04", the 03"' has a schraider port. You can get an adapter that goes on the drivers side fuel rail but they are about $60.

Can u smell fuel coming out of exhaust? If yes then its getting gas. If no.....
Is there gas in it?
Fuel filter clogged? Changeg it any way (u need the plastic key too).
Can u hear fuel pump run when turning key?

get his owners manual out of glove box & find which fuse is for fuel pump & pull it out & visually check and/or ohm it.

Re-check the fuel pump cut out button.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:45 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Originally Posted by DerbyCity2004GT
Hey Guys & Gals, I am trying to help my neighbor... he owns a 2004 GT Convertible (4.6L?) with 7,000 miles (yes this is correct mileage), car sat in garage for past 4 months and battery died (totally dead). Battery replaced, but engine will not start.. Cranks like crazy, just makes no attempt to fire. I am thinking dead battery tripped an anti theft device (factory alarm) and this is what is preventing the vehicle from running. I have confirmed that the fuel shut off valve in truck is set (ready to go). There is not a shradder valve on the fuel rail that I can see (chrome covers), so I can not confirm that fuel is or is not getting to fuel rails. All the fuses in the PDB look new (the entire car looks new). This vehicle even still smells new... so I am not interested in doing anymore to it than replacing a fuse or re-setting an anti theft device... can anyone one offer any advice on possible anti theft component that may have been tripped when battery died?
First thing you should do is try a spare key that worked previously. I had a key that worked intermittently, turns out the security chip in the key got loose. Symptoms were similar in that it seemed like the car just wasn't getting gas. I don't remember if there were any idiot lights that would give it away or not, but it's a very easy check that should take only a few minutes, assuming you have a spare key (if you don't have one, you NEED one). Once you verify that the security / key isn't the issue, then you should investigate fuel delivery.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:46 PM
DerbyCity2004GT

Originally Posted by FrostByte
There is no fuel rail port to check press on the 04", the 03"' has a schraider port. You can get an adapter that goes on the drivers side fuel rail but they are about $60.

Can u smell fuel coming out of exhaust? If yes then its getting gas. If no.....
Is there gas in it?
Fuel filter clogged? Changeg it any way (u need the plastic key too).
Can u hear fuel pump run when turning key?

get his owners manual out of glove box & find which fuse is for fuel pump & pull it out & visually check and/or ohm it.

Re-check the fuel pump cut out button.
I looked at the owners Manual and didn't see a fuel pump fuse... there is an "engine control" fuse, but it appeared to be good.

The fuel shut off valve in trunk is in the correct postion. As far as changing fuel filter, aren't fuel filters in the tank on fuel injected vehicles?? My hearing isn't good enough to hear a fuel pump,,, I'm old :-0
Old 02-14-2013, 08:52 PM
DerbyCity2004GT

Originally Posted by redass02gt
First thing you should do is try a spare key that worked previously. I had a key that worked intermittently, turns out the security chip in the key got loose. Symptoms were similar in that it seemed like the car just wasn't getting gas. I don't remember if there were any idiot lights that would give it away or not, but it's a very easy check that should take only a few minutes, assuming you have a spare key (if you don't have one, you NEED one). Once you verify that the security / key isn't the issue, then you should investigate fuel delivery.
Did your vehicle try to start/run for a second or two, then die? My neighbor's car is just cranking (spinning/turning over), but makes zero effort to start. No sputter, no backfire, nothing that would make a person ever thing engine was going to actually run. I did ask if key we were using was the key that he typically uses and he said yes.. I did not ask if he had a spare key.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:44 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The only thing I can offer is to actually start pull and checking fuses with a continuity meter, it is not unusual for one to look good, yet have the fuse wire cracked or blown in a way that is not obvious.

At a minimum check these:

Battery junction Box (under the hood):

Central junction Box (under the dash):

The next step would obviously be to start checking for fuel pressure and spark, then if either is absent dig deeper...
Old 02-15-2013, 09:56 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Did your vehicle try to start/run for a second or two, then die? My neighbor's car is just cranking (spinning/turning over), but makes zero effort to start. No sputter, no backfire, nothing that would make a person ever thing engine was going to actually run. I did ask if key we were using was the key that he typically uses and he said yes.. I did not ask if he had a spare key.
PATS type C, used on the '99 - '04 Mustangs will allow the engine to start and run for 1 to 2 seconds when a non-programmed key is used...
Old 02-15-2013, 12:53 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Originally Posted by cliffyk
PATS type C, used on the '99 - '04 Mustangs will allow the engine to start and run for 1 to 2 seconds when a non-programmed key is used...
It was a while ago when this happened, but I'm 99.9% certain that the engine never fired up even though it would turn. That's why my first thoughts were also that there was something preventing the engine from getting fuel. There may also be an idiot light somewhere on the dash that would be a dead giveaway, but I don't recall. Making sure that it's not an issue with the key will only take 30 seconds and zero effort if he's got the spare, so that's what I would check first.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Have you tried to simply disconnect the negative battery cable then reconnect it?

Wife's Escape did a similar thing when I disconnected the battery for a couple days while I worked on it. When I reconnected it, it started up fine the first time. Second time, everything would work but in her case, the car wouldn't crank. Fuel pump would prime but no cranking. Disconnected the ground for about 30 seconds, reconnected, no issues since.

I'm thinking since the battery on yours was so dead, the capacitors in the PCM completely discharged as well. When you hooked up the new battery something didn't reboot/reset correctly.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:06 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Cool

I looked at the owners Manual and didn't see a fuel pump fuse... there is an "engine control" fuse, but it appeared to be good.

The fuel shut off valve in trunk is in the correct postion. As far as changing fuel filter, aren't fuel filters in the tank on fuel injected vehicles?? My hearing isn't good enough to hear a fuel pump,,, I'm old :-0
Why is there a valve? There shouldn't be a "valve". Did some one install a shut off valve for racing? Valve suggests your actually manually closing a valve/petcock. Thats not stock in a 04".

There also should be a red button on the inertia switch near your drivers side tail lamp in trunk behind the carpet.

The fuel filter is in front of your gas tank.

Quick Reply: Battery died, now won't start.... II