4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

can you mix oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 11:31 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

Default can you mix oil?

I bought a 5qt bottle of 10W 30 but I also have a single qt of 5W20. can I mix that in with it? I need 6 qts. both bottles are mobil1 full syth
Old 02-23-2013, 11:37 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Arrow

NO, it will create a nuklear meltdown & burn a hole thru your engine block, thru the pavement & clear to China!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually you will be OK.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:56 PM
RMK01GT
1st Gear Member

just dont mix synthetics with mineral oils...

Im pretty sure the SAE designed them so they would mix, but in the industry there are many different types of oils with different properties and additives. And a lot of them cannot be mixed. I have seen first hand what can happen when you mix a synthetic oil with mineral oil in a compressor. the oil worked great while the machine was running but as soon as it was shut down and allowed to cool the oil turned into a hardened silicone type viscosity.... needless to say the compressor needed to be completely overhauled and cleaned because it wouldn't turn over anymore.. (and the customer decided not to service his own compressor anymore lol)

I personally wont do it, but like I said before SAE probably made the additives all get along so it shouldent be an issue when buying oil for a car.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:52 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RMK01GT

Im pretty sure the SAE designed them so they would mix, but in the industry there are many different types of oils with different properties and additives. And a lot of them cannot be mixed. I have seen first hand what can happen when you mix a synthetic oil with mineral oil in a compressor. the oil worked great while the machine was running but as soon as it was shut down and allowed to cool the oil turned into a hardened silicone type viscosity.... needless to say the compressor needed to be completely overhauled and cleaned because it wouldn't turn over anymore.. (and the customer decided not to service his own compressor anymore lol)

I personally wont do it, but like I said before SAE probably made the additives all get along so it shouldent be an issue when buying oil for a car.
What do you think makes up synthetic blend oils? Compressor oil is different than engine oil, so yes, I wouldn't mix them, but when the only difference is between 10w30 and 5w20 then they should mix just fine.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:58 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

I also do 5W20 in the winter and 10W30 in the summer. where I live its COLD winter and HOT summer
Old 02-23-2013, 11:35 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

There is absolutely no problem whatsoever mixing different weights of synthetic, dino, semi-synthetic, Groups II, III, IV and even V oils.

None. Zero. You can even find online calculators to determine the final mix: 6.5W 22.7, or whatever.

If there was a problem, you could never switch from dino to semi synthetic to synthetic as you can never drain all the old oil out of your engine.

As an aside, there has been much discussion about 5w-20 vs. 5w-30 in 4.6 modular engines. I've personally spoken with former Ford engineers who have verified that Ford switched to 5W-20 solely to gain a few tenths of a gallon MPG in CAFE testing. The engineers, along with ex-Ford Mustang Bullitt-Mach 1 Program Manager Scott Hoag all agreed that 5w-30 is preferable particularly for 4v engines. The engineers went further to state 10w-30 or even higher weights are better for track driven modulars.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:39 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by RMK01GT

This must be how old wives' tales start. I'll make sure I take your advice the next time I put 5 quarts of synthetic compressor oil into my 32V DOHC crankcase and reach for a quart of mineral compressor oil to bring it up to 6.