4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what will i need before supercharge

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Arrickh
1st Gear Member

Default what will i need before supercharge

Hey guys i was thinking about getting a supercharger like the one in this thread https://mustangforums.com/forum/pipe...-its-done.html

What all would i need before doing this? I'm pretty sure i would need a throttle body and plenum and a tune, but what else?

Also will i need to get this tune at a dyno, and if so how much would it cost?

A estimate on the price of all of this together would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

Last edited by Arrickh; 02-26-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:18 PM
DanEck

You need a new motor, or at least you would have to lower your compression on your current one. Either clear out a space in a garage and build one with a full forged bottom end and heads ready for the extra power, or talk to a machine shop about building you one.
If you throw a supercharger on a stock 4.6 without doing anything to it you are going to throw a rod; if you just lower the compression on a stock motor the motor won't last long. The internals are not meant for the boost superchargers provide.

I talked with a guy from WestCoastEngines about this very thing not too long back he quoted at 4,000 give or take.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:19 PM
DanEck

You need a new motor, or at least you would have to lower your compression on your current one. Either clear out a space in a garage and build one with a full forged bottom end and heads ready for the extra power, or talk to a machine shop about building you one.
If you throw a supercharger on a stock 4.6 without doing anything to it you are going to throw a rod; if you just lower the compression on a stock motor the motor won't last long. The internals are not meant for the boost superchargers provide.

I talked with a guy from WestCoastEngines about this very thing not too long back he quoted at 4,000 give or take.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:29 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I call BS to the above post(s).

My stock block supercharged 4.6L has well over 200,000 miles on it. It's a daily driver which sees well over 100 miles a day, and sees a lot of track time on the road course as well with no issues what so ever related to the stock bottom end. Roush, Saleen and Steeda all offered supercharged packages on the stock motor, and they all did just fine. Ford even offers blower kits from Ford Racing for the stock motor.

These motors respond well to low boost. That thread you have in your first post takes you step by step. Did you actually read it?

Boost, fuel, tune - enjoy.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Arrickh
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
I call BS to the above post(s).

My stock block supercharged 4.6L has well over 200,000 miles on it. It's a daily driver which sees well over 100 miles a day, and sees a lot of track time on the road course as well with no issues what so ever related to the stock bottom end. Roush, Saleen and Steeda all offered supercharged packages on the stock motor, and they all did just fine. Ford even offers blower kits from Ford Racing for the stock motor.

These motors respond well to low boost. That thread you have in your first post takes you step by step. Did you actually read it?

Boost, fuel, tune - enjoy.
I read it but I'm not too great with cars so i didn't know if some things went without saying for car guys so he just left it out lol. So do i need the throttle body and plenum or just the tune and the parts in the thread?

Last edited by Arrickh; 02-26-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:13 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DanEck

you do not need to build an engine, the stock engine is good for 450whp give or take so do not listen to this post.

I've been running a vortech on my stock engine for almost 2 years and my car has about 112k miles on it.

Youre gonna need the vortech, all the mounts, oil lines, intake pieces, your also gonna need fuel pump, injectors, and a maf
Old 02-27-2013, 07:15 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by DanEck

You do not need to lower your CR, the quoted post is all bad info. With a good tune and premium pump gas the stock engine is good for 400-450rwhp
Old 02-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

I was gonna call shenanigans on the blow up your engine post but yeah it's been done.

You don't NEED the throttle body and plenum but since it is the largest restriction on a stock intake I would say put it on there. Biggest thing to remember is to make sure your fuel system can support your boost before installing the blower. No sense in putting in all that work only to have your tuner tell you he can't adjust the A/F anymore.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:04 PM
2001Supercharged GT
1st Gear Member

I have vortec supercharger on my mustang and it just rolled to 88k and doing fine.
As said before new fuel pump and injectors to get the most out of the boost.
A good dyno tune will work much better than a handheld tuner ever will.