4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tranny swap question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 05:52 PM
aframe
2nd Gear Member

Default Tranny swap question

I have an 03 gt automatic......i need to swap the tranny and i need to know how to put the fluid in the torque converter and any other helpful hints you guys might have......i have dropped a transmission before but it was to change a clutch this is my first automatic.....any help is much appreciated
Old 03-01-2013, 03:50 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

A general rule is to pore a quart of fluid in the convertor before putting it on the transmission. Also when putting the converter on the trans, rotate the convertor until it drops back twice. You may have to do a few full rotations. This is just aligning the splines of the convertor to the input shaft. after trans is in, make sure its full of fluid and go through all the gears and then recheck. Also, when bolting the convertor to the flex plate, there is a place on the drivers side of the engine where you should be able to get to the bolts.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:22 AM
aframe
2nd Gear Member

Thank you that was what i was most worried about......the other question i have is that i am supposed to put 12-13 qts in for a full swap.....do i just put those qts in as if i was doing a flush?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:19 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

f its a use trans then even if it was flushed, it will still have somefluid left in it. When the trans is in the car, fill til full and start the car to warm up. After warm, check fluid level. I ran mine through the gears and checked again. Just make sure to have that trans at the proper level. being too low will ruin it fast. The car's manual should have instructions for this if you get lost.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:51 PM
aframe
2nd Gear Member

Any tips on how to get 10 yr old torque converter bolts out
Old 03-03-2013, 07:02 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

theres a method I would like to try, I noticed a access hole on a 4.6 engine on a stand. I believe you can get to the converter studs through this hole. its in the same spot as the starter except on the drivers side. mine had a rubber boot on it. if that doesn't work, theres a access plate held on by 2 bolts on the bottom front of the trans. the nuts are on the engine side of the flex plate. I would soak them in something about a day ahead of time
Old 03-03-2013, 07:25 PM
art02gt
3rd Gear Member

make sure your trans sits nice and flush to the engine when you put it back on. if it doesn't then something is not aligned. don't force it in by tightening the bolts that hold it to the engine. and like mentioned above, put in oil till you see it on the dipstick, then start the car and follow the procedure for checking and adding oil.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:18 AM
aframe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by school boy
theres a method I would like to try, I noticed a access hole on a 4.6 engine on a stand. I believe you can get to the converter studs through this hole. its in the same spot as the starter except on the drivers side. mine had a rubber boot on it. if that doesn't work, theres a access plate held on by 2 bolts on the bottom front of the trans. the nuts are on the engine side of the flex plate. I would soak them in something about a day ahead of time
I found the rubber plug and was trying to get them from there but i couldnt find the plate
Old 03-04-2013, 12:09 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

did you turn the crank over for the nuts to come in sight
Old 03-04-2013, 03:49 PM
aframe
2nd Gear Member

Ya i found the nuts through the hole but i was looking for the plate i keep hearing about that is held in place by the two bolts.....i was hoping they would be easier to get to through that plate

Quick Reply: Tranny swap question