4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Temp gauge fluctuating

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 11:14 PM
blu30val
2nd Gear Member

Any luck with a diag lantern?
Old 03-14-2013, 12:21 PM
The Green Lantern

Just tried to burp it. Ran it until it got hot without the cap on and nothing. The coolant level in the resivor actually rose up maybe an inch after it got up to temp but no air bubbles. The fan also did not turn on at all, not sure if that matters but usually i thought i've heard it turn on when i have it just chilling in neutral for a while. Could it be a bad thermostat? I just replaced it but maybe it was a faulty one?
Old 03-14-2013, 03:10 PM
blu30val
2nd Gear Member

My next step would be making sure the coolant temp sensor is working right. Usually the thermostat will cause no flow ( overheat) or flow too soon ( constantly under spec)
Old 03-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Forced Air

I run an Edge CTS in my car and can tell you that the temp gauge is WAAAY off. My gauge is barely coming up when the computer is getting a reading of 160+.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:51 PM
blu30val
2nd Gear Member

That's a tuner right? Like with a HUD for your boost, rpm, temp ect?
I do have a question though if it is a tuner did you wire it directly to what it monitors or is in the obd2 port. If its in the obd port the computers reading fine, you got a bad gauge or cluster.

Last edited by blu30val; 03-14-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:35 AM
Forced Air

Originally Posted by blu30val
That's a tuner right? Like with a HUD for your boost, rpm, temp ect?
I do have a question though if it is a tuner did you wire it directly to what it monitors or is in the obd2 port. If its in the obd port the computers reading fine, you got a bad gauge or cluster.
It's not a tuner, just an awesome monitor that I can use in every vehicle I own. It does plug into the obd2 port.

I don't even look at may gauge cluster anymore. The CTS has everything I need. Here is a list of what it will monitor on my car:

Battery Voltage, Engine Coolant Temp, Engine Load, Engine RPM, Fuel Level, Intake Air Temp, Mass Air Flow, Mileage Coach, MPG Instant, MPG Average, Spark Advance, Throttle Position, Time 0-60, Time 1/4 mile, Vehicle Speed
Old 03-15-2013, 09:52 AM
The Green Lantern

So I have a diablo handheld tuner but will that help me find the coolant temp? If not, how would I be able to check the temp, should I buy an aftermarket coolant temp gauge and sensor?
Old 03-15-2013, 06:37 PM
blu30val
2nd Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Forced Air
It's not a tuner, just an awesome monitor that I can use in every vehicle I own. It does plug into the obd2 port.

I don't even look at may gauge cluster anymore. The CTS has everything I need. Here is a list of what it will monitor on my car:

Battery Voltage, Engine Coolant Temp, Engine Load, Engine RPM, Fuel Level, Intake Air Temp, Mass Air Flow, Mileage Coach, MPG Instant, MPG Average, Spark Advance, Throttle Position, Time 0-60, Time 1/4 mile, Vehicle Speed
Sweet. I've seen the bullydog and a few others kind of like that. It's nice to see live data constantly, how much that set you back?

To lantern: I have a act sf/ x3 whatever the numbers are and I think I can, ill check it out in a bit. Go to the manufacturers website, they should have a list of pids it'll read. Did you get that info I pm'd you? You could buy the part, its an easy install. I'm kind of a cheap-*** and test everything before I spend even a dollar replacing stuff I'm not convinced is broken, then again I have or have access to what I need to test it. I usually run an OTC genesis scanner and that thing will give you about any parameter. Got a voltmeter and back probes?

Last edited by blu30val; 03-15-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Forced Air

Originally Posted by blu30val
Sweet. I've seen the bullydog and a few others kind of like that. It's nice to see live data constantly, how much that set you back?
I spent $300 on it used. New, I think they are around $500. Not the cheapest but it's well worth the money.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:37 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by The Green Lantern
Just tried to burp it. Ran it until it got hot without the cap on and nothing. The coolant level in the resivor actually rose up maybe an inch after it got up to temp but no air bubbles. The fan also did not turn on at all, not sure if that matters but usually i thought i've heard it turn on when i have it just chilling in neutral for a while. Could it be a bad thermostat? I just replaced it but maybe it was a faulty one?

Your fan should kick on to the 'low setting' when it gets up to operation temp. It goes 'high' on a second preset temp and when the A/C is on.

Quick Reply: Temp gauge fluctuating