4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Fog light help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 07:15 AM
SecludedGT

Default Fog light help

02 mustang.. Small amount of info..

Car is a swap was a v6 now is a v8.

I have come to the conclusion that the donor car was an 01 bullitt. Everything works including the fog lights (comes on when head lights are on) But I have the switches for fog, traction, and rear defrost. Yet those are not hooked up. I have another fog light switch but it doesnt seem to do anything not even the light that is on it. I also have another traction control switch which works fully even the light.

Now to the issue. I have an HID kit for the fogs on the way. I want to run them independently to the fog light switch that does have a wiring harness ran to it. But all the searches I have come across hasnt really helped me find the how to answer.

I have added 2 pics. I need advise on how you guys would wire this up. Any and all help will be more then helpful. Also any other questions or info needed is fine with me.
Attached Thumbnails Fog light help-mustang33.jpg   Fog light help-mustang333.jpg  
Old 03-08-2013, 07:21 AM
Dooney
1st Gear Member

I would just splice the wires for the HID's into the wires that you know are hooked up and working. That's all you really need to do. Make sure you do it towards the front of the car by the fog lights though in case there are any resistors or anything in the line. (I'm not sure without looking at the wiring diagram)

Also a side note. Why do you have two traction control buttons?
Old 03-08-2013, 07:24 AM
SecludedGT

Originally Posted by Dooney
I would just splice the wires for the HID's into the wires that you know are hooked up and working. That's all you really need to do. Make sure you do it towards the front of the car by the fog lights though in case there are any resistors or anything in the line. (I'm not sure without looking at the wiring diagram)

Also a side note. Why do you have two traction control buttons?

I dont know. But like I said the fog light switch that is hooked up, the light doesnt come on. And I bought the car like this. Like I said, The switches under the radio are not hooked up at all. And the HID kit will plug in the factory harness from my understanding.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:36 AM
Dooney
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SecludedGT
I dont know. But like I said the fog light switch that is hooked up, the light doesnt come on. And I bought the car like this. Like I said, The switches under the radio are not hooked up at all. And the HID kit will plug in the factory harness from my understanding.
Oh sorry, I read that wrong. I was thinking you didn't care which one it went to. OK well if the one under the radio doesn't work and the other one does. I would say you are going to need to take a few things apart and track down your wires. I would start with the switch you knows works and see what's going on. Next I would take your trim off the switch you want to works. If the light comes on then it is probably somewhat hooked up. You may find some rigged up mess that you don't want to though. Again, all this is coming from what I would do. I do not have any diagrams in front of me and I can't remember what it looked like the last time I had the trim piece off
Old 03-08-2013, 07:41 AM
SecludedGT

Originally Posted by Dooney
Oh sorry, I read that wrong. I was thinking you didn't care which one it went to. OK well if the one under the radio doesn't work and the other one does. I would say you are going to need to take a few things apart and track down your wires. I would start with the switch you knows works and see what's going on. Next I would take your trim off the switch you want to works. If the light comes on then it is probably somewhat hooked up. You may find some rigged up mess that you don't want to though. Again, all this is coming from what I would do. I do not have any diagrams in front of me and I can't remember what it looked like the last time I had the trim piece off
I highly doubt I will find a mess lol. The swap seems to have been done very well. But for now Im just getting some ideas. Ill actually work on it next weekend when I have the HIDs. But then again I want to run them independently so that I can turn the fog lights on when ever. Instead of when the headlights are on. I dont want to have to use the headlight switch at all. Just flip the fog light switch and then they come on.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:35 AM
Dooney
1st Gear Member

If you are wanting to do that you are going to have to put some thought into it. The cars come out of the factory to only run the fog lights if the headlights are on.