4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:15 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

ABS/Trac off light on??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 10:32 AM
stevens03stang

Ok ill check that, once this freaking rain gets out of here. Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:44 PM
stevens03stang

update: the front driver side caliper was locking up so i replaced it and that part is fine BUT, the ABS and trac control light is still on. now ive neen noticing that in the mornings its been kinda cold, around 30's, and the lights dont come on until everything warms up, then the ABS will pop on and trac button light with light up. All the sensors are clean. is there a way to pin point if one of the sensors is bad or would i have to take it in and have it plugged up to the machine??
Old 04-06-2013, 10:02 PM
StanglovR02

Having the same issue with mine. Read in a mag that the SN-95 are know for having faulty ABS moduals. Havnt fixed mine yet, i dont have locked brakes like you just the lights. Did u fix yours yet?
Old 04-07-2013, 09:36 AM
stevens03stang

Well i found out that i had a bad caliper, thats why it was locking up. Fixed that and the brakes are fine now but the lights are still on. havent really anything else to try to fix it. Some people say it could be a bad ABS sensor. so i guess when i get the money up ill take it in and let someone check it out and figure out what exactly it is before i start replacing parts are are still good
Old 04-07-2013, 08:38 PM
StanglovR02

yeah thats the thing... each wheel has a sensor so how do you pinpoint which one is bad. Like i mentioned before i here the ABS moduals are faulty bbut those run $300-400 :X
Old 09-11-2014, 05:25 PM
042vmustang

Default ABS and Trac Light turn off and On

i Been having a problem lately were ill take a drive inside my car and my abs and trac light will turn on my dash wile driving 30 sec later they will shut off .. Today got up to start my car and my abs light was on the dash and my trac button light was on try pressing it to turn off the light but wouldn't work took it around the block to test my brakes and abs wasn't working as well as trac control , did a hard launch sung the wheels and all the sudden my lights go off and everything was fine ?? Any idea i been looking and people say its abs module or abs sensor ? Please help .. Thanks
Old 09-11-2014, 06:01 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

l personally suspect that the heat from the dragging brake caliper has damaged one of your sensors. It may be good when cold, but as it heats up resistance builds up and the computer senses that it is out of normal range.

The light on button turns on because the computer is shutting off the system and then lights up the warning indicators on the dash. The reason the computer shuts it off is because at this point the data that it receives is unreliable. The ABS and traction control are kind of complicated in how they react. IF the computer senses that one or both of your back tires are spinning or slipping it will retard spark, and air/fuel mix is modulated, and the abs may activate to reduce power, you may not even realize this is happening because it is very fast. However if the spinning does not stop the computer may shut down 2 or more cylinders until the rear tires stop slipping.

Take it to a shop that has a tech II scan tool and they can or should be able to access the portion of the computer responsible for the ABS and Traction control, and read any codes that it has stored, including individual sensor data.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:34 PM
042vmustang

Originally Posted by dawson1112
l personally suspect that the heat from the dragging brake caliper has damaged one of your sensors. It may be good when cold, but as it heats up resistance builds up and the computer senses that it is out of normal range.

The light on button turns on because the computer is shutting off the system and then lights up the warning indicators on the dash. The reason the computer shuts it off is because at this point the data that it receives is unreliable. The ABS and traction control are kind of complicated in how they react. IF the computer senses that one or both of your back tires are spinning or slipping it will retard spark, and air/fuel mix is modulated, and the abs may activate to reduce power, you may not even realize this is happening because it is very fast. However if the spinning does not stop the computer may shut down 2 or more cylinders until the rear tires stop slipping.

Take it to a shop that has a tech II scan tool and they can or should be able to access the portion of the computer responsible for the ABS and Traction control, and read any codes that it has stored, including individual sensor data.
Thanks a lot im going to have to get it checked then i hope its not the ABS module and just one of the sensor ... Thanks
Old 09-17-2014, 02:28 PM
MidNightRunner
2nd Gear Member

So as you may have noticed by other people having the same problem, this is extremely common. The ABS and TC seem to start acting up around the same time and then they both go out.

The problem with the ABS system is that you need to start replacing parts until you find the fault. This can put you near $1000. If you are really concerned about your stopping power I say take that money and put it towards upgrading the breaks.

I have not had the ABS working for at least 7 years and it has never caused me to have an accident or anything like that.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:36 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MidNightRunner
So as you may have noticed by other people having the same problem, this is extremely common. The ABS and TC seem to start acting up around the same time and then they both go out.

The problem with the ABS system is that you need to start replacing parts until you find the fault. This can put you near $1000. If you are really concerned about your stopping power I say take that money and put it towards upgrading the breaks.

I have not had the ABS working for at least 7 years and it has never caused me to have an accident or anything like that.
There is no need to guess at it and just start replacing parts, the PCM has a separate batch of codes that can be read using the correct diagnostic equipment, no you cant use a regular obd2 code scanner but a tech 2 device can access this area of the pcm.

Quick Reply: ABS/Trac off light on??