4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what fouls plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 08:09 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

I think i might need a new intake manifold. Ive changed my own

-brake pads
-fuel filter
-oil
-radiator
-alternator

I think I can take my intake manifold provided no specialty tools are needed. for the fule rails or anything. I always assumed it all unbolts and its that simple. Now here is where I get worried, what if my intake manifold is fine and my gaskets are good but its my actual engine block thats warped. That seems VERY unlikely considering the heat in that section, I did have my heads warp once and ended up paying 1500 for them to be milled down and and new manifold put on. this time with no head work I think I can take on a new manifold.

165$ seems like as cheap as Ive seen for them. I dont think I car about getting an all aluminum one....or do it.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:22 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

used my air torch to dry everything off. Dumped a bottle of burks silver leak stop in it, drove 20 minutes. Will inspect it more later. I feel like it had some lea stop holding her together in the first place and the flush I did, ripped it out.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:38 PM
blu30val
2nd Gear Member

Sweet, keep an eye on it anyway. The drive cycle self diag. Is ridiculous on some cars and it may be a few days for a code to return, if it returns. Chances are you found your problem though.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:56 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

also ive noticed when i take my radiator cap off, even when the engine is hot; there is no real pressure in the resivour. on my 97 if i took the cap off it would bubble up and spray out, nothing on this 2001, just a tiny hiss like opening a bottle of soda.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:50 AM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like a cracked mani... when mine cracked, it filled in well between the head on the block, shorted the #4 plug as well... I'd replace the mani for the $230 it costs and just be done with it my friend.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:05 PM
blu30val
2nd Gear Member

Lightbulb

Sh*t... When I made my last post all those pics weren't there. Yeah buddy you need an intake. I just did mine, no special tools req. I did mine with basic 1/4 and 3/8 ratchet sets. Remembering where your vacuum hoses go was the hardest part to me. Be careful with the rail, I broke a cap on one of my injectors, cost me almost $80 for 1 21 lb injector because no one carried the caps.
Bb
Notice the tb and plenum is still connected and the rail is still connected.. if you want the rail off instead of flopped over you'll need a fuel line disconnect set.on that note I recommend injector o- rings .

Here she is all together with one bright pink injector. Haha. Good luck with the repair, if you need help I obviously check my recent topics frequently, just post it up

As for pressure in the degas tank, I've rarely got pressure in the tank unless I did a lot of driving.

Last edited by blu30val; 03-31-2013 at 01:54 PM. Reason: change recently to frequenly... spellcheck strikes again
Old 04-04-2013, 06:17 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

I've decided I am going to take my commission check from work and simply replace that Intake manifold. I am almost tempted to get the full metal Bullet intake but am open to feedback and suggestions on that. The plastic intake is **** garbage as far as I am concerned and its the Bane of the SN95 mustangs.

did the Mach1 have a special intake manifold or the plastic one too. I dont want to spend more than 300$
Old 04-04-2013, 11:34 PM
blu30val
2nd Gear Member

I've only heard that metal intakes aren't always machined flush, but that's hearsay. Id use the plastic unless your going to run spray or blown for that matter. I've seen the intakes completely plastic before, due to cracking issues they made thermostat housing metal. The Dorman type is nice, the gasket is recessed and you don't have to worry about it moving at all; the downside is you gotta look for cracks on the bottom or it'll p*ss out. On that note the other type has a one piece gasket per side and has pegs to line it up.

Last edited by blu30val; 04-05-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:25 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

Still looking to do this. I swear my intake manifold looks different than whats on AM. does the 32v Cobra use something I can use? or does it have different set up for the extra 2v per chamber.

this makes my second cracked plastic ford manifold. I'd like to never deal with this ever again.

what i have is on the right. what AM has looks like the one on the left with a metal housing for the coolant, but they are calling it a PI intake. See how much beefier it looks on the right?

"Intake gaskets molded into the intake manifold" that sounds inconveniant in ways

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/IntakeManif...FQTznAodP0AAUw

Last edited by SXGT; 04-08-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:37 PM
blu30val
2nd Gear Member

. I'm not entirely sure of the difference on a cobra. As you can see mine looks like the pic on the right, I ordered the "improved performance" intake from AM myself, the gaskets are not recessed. I think advanced or AutoZone carries the Dorman intake. It's still got the metal housing, just the gaskets are recessed and something I didn't mention, the Dorman intake doesn't have a great set up for your coils. It comes with coarse thread screws to hold down the coils and they're stupid easy to cross thread and strip out.
Edit: the intake on the right appears "beefier" because the rails are installed, essentially its the same, just certain parts are metal. Was it a typo or do you already have that set up? Personally I don't like the recessed gaskets, reason being is... Remove the gasket from its "slot" you've got 2 walls of plastic that are thin and have tendency to break( do not install without a gasket, I'm just giving a visual). I've had to send several of these back for being cracked around those recessed gaskets before an install, why would I trust it to last..

Last edited by blu30val; 04-09-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Quick Reply: what fouls plugs