4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How much to pay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Hob

Default How much to pay?

I'm looking at a 03 Mach 1 that's bone stock with 90k miles. I test drove it and everything works perfectly and drives great. I offered 10.8k cash on the spot and the seller didn't take it, I have a gut feeling the seller won't go lower then 12k. Not sure if that's too high? KBB at very good condition puts it at 11.6k.

And I know there's a mach sub forum but it's quite dead in 2013 and I'd appreciate some real time input thanks!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:56 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

its a 10 year old car with 90K miles so its probably been taken care of. Its only worth what people are willing to pay for it. Offer him 11 and if he says no wait 2 weeks and offer it again.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:04 PM
jtgerik

I'd stay with your original offer. Tell him I'd he gets more good for him. No one pays book on a private sale. Where there is one nice mustang there is another. Keep looking may be a better deal elsewhere.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:52 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

I see them for sub 10K all of the time here, just wait, you will find a better deal. Odds are that he doesn't really want to sell it, but someone, or something is making him. He figures if he sets an unrealistic price then he is "trying to sell it", but if it doesn't sell thats ok too.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

When someone asks, "Is this car worth $XX,XXX?" it can only mean two things:

1. The buyer hasn't researched the market.

or

2. It's the only car of its kind for sale.

If you can't find another Mach 1 and want one, whatever you wind up paying is the market price.

I really can't understand anybody who would ask price opinions of people who haven't see/driven the car in question and I sure as hell can't understand people who volunteer opinions on an unseen car. Even funnier is advice like, "Offer him $10,564 in three days!"

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 04-01-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:52 PM
07stangED
1st Gear Member

It's an open forum what is wrong with asking a simple question...I see no problem with it. I can't comment on the value of this car, but maybe someone who is knowledgable of Mach 1s will chime in with some useful advice for you.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:59 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Cars are my business, so I think I am qualified to answer on what a car is or isn't worth. Average price at auction for one with comparable miles is $7800, figure a dealer markup to around $10K So the OP offered more than what a dealer would likely want and the guy turned him down.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:06 PM
07stangED
1st Gear Member

my gut was telling me he offered more than what the car is worth on the private market...if the thing is absolutely gorgeous just with high miles and he fell in love with it then I guess it's worth what he is willing to pay. I would guess somewhere closer to the $9k price would be the right price.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:13 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
When someone asks, "Is this car worth $XX,XXX?" it can only mean two things:

1. The buyer hasn't researched the market.

or

2. It's the only car of its kind for sale.

If you can't find another Mach 1 and want one, whatever you wind up paying is the market price.

I really can't understand anybody who would ask price opinions of people who haven't see/driven the car in question and I sure as hell can't understand people who volunteer opinions on an unseen car. Even funnier is advice like, "Offer him $10,564 in three days!"
I'm guessing you are a very pissed off person all the time. I have yet to see you make a post that didn't frustrate you in some way.
I'm sure the OP was just wanting peoples opinion a vehicle. But I do agree with you I hate the tards that say offer less without seeing said vehicle. I just choose not to comment in anger like you
Old 04-01-2013, 10:30 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by 07stangED
It's an open forum what is wrong with asking a simple question...I see no problem with it. I can't comment on the value of this car, but maybe someone who is knowledgable of Mach 1s will chime in with some useful advice for you.

I don't care how much you know about Mach 1s, unless the car is in front of you and you drive it, a value assesment is impossible.

Quick Reply: How much to pay?