4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

front wheels not centered

Old 04-11-2013, 06:50 PM
fordfreak_24

Default front wheels not centered

i just bought my first mustang. an 01 gt. both front wheels are set way back in the wheel well. i was wondering if this is comon and if there is a way to fix it? any help or advice would be great. i tried doing a search but came up with nothing
Old 04-11-2013, 07:30 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

How is the steering?
Does it appear to have the stock control arms/K-member, or could they have been replaced?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:11 PM
fordfreak_24

everything seems to be stock. I'm petty good at mechanical. but first newer mustang. I don't Hewitt on the road yet but have taken it up the road once or twice. it pulls hard to the right but no vibrations or anything weird other then just seeming like it needs to be aligned. both wheels are set may back in the wheel well. not sure what else to tell you. I've read about forward offset a arms but need coil overs to use them. trying to get the wheel centered before I take it in to get aligned.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:13 PM
fordfreak_24

the pulling might be due to it needing both inner tie rods.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:34 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

If its not an after market control arm, then maybe the control arms are bent/damaged or the control arm bushings are shot. Its the control arm that determines the position of the wheel in the wheel well. If it is out of whack then so will the wheel.

Either way, it sounds like you need an alignment. Maybe the alignment shop will be able to tell you whats (if anything) is wrong. Good luck...
Old 04-13-2013, 01:59 PM
ZeroTX
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fordfreak_24
i just bought my first mustang. an 01 gt. both front wheels are set way back in the wheel well. i was wondering if this is comon and if there is a way to fix it? any help or advice would be great. i tried doing a search but came up with nothing
I have an '01 GT and I definitely have noticed this at least on one side. I haven't had it in for an alignment yet, as I'm about to do lowering springs and want to wait until afterward, but I will say that this is VERY, VERY common.

I'd love to know the cause and the fix. Everytime I read about it, I just get speculative answers, no real ones. Odd considering how common this issue is.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:08 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

What position are we talking about here? Is the wheel pushed in toward the engine? Or are we talking about the wheel being positioned more toward the nose of the car or the rear of the car? I know with these cars the front tires do not sit dead center in the wheel well looking at the car from the side, it looks a bit odd. The only way I know of to fix this particular issue is an aftermarket 'K' member.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:15 PM
ZeroTX
2nd Gear Member

Just browsing google images, you'll find lots of cars with the same issue:

http://mountainviewpistons.tripod.co...stangCobra.jpg

http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/...-gt-mikey2.jpg

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photo...medium/022.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...0/IMG_0189.jpg
Old 04-13-2013, 07:30 PM
fordfreak_24

I'm going to put on a different k member. ill report back with any change
Old 04-13-2013, 07:31 PM
fordfreak_24

if that don't fix it I'll put after market arms and coil overs on it to fix it. I'm going to take before and after pics too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: front wheels not centered