4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Keyless entry problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 05:58 PM
codifer

Unhappy Keyless entry problem.

No one seems to understand me or have the same problem as me so I'll post something here, maybe you guys can help. I bought a 1996 Ford Mustang a while back from some guy and the only way to get into the car is with the Keyless entry remote. I only have 1 key...the key that starts the car, For some reason it doesn't open ANY of the doors, not even the trunk. Well today when I was going to head off to the store it wouldnt open my door. I figured the batteries had died so I went to the store to get new batteries and it still wont work. So I'm literally locked out of my car. I'm clueless when it comes to these things since I've only had one other car with no problems like these, haha.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:53 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

It sounds like the ignition was rekeyed as I doubt all the doors and the trunk were rekeyed. It won't be cheap, but if this is the case, a locksmith should be able to cut you a door lock/trunk key based on the options list (hopefully that is still in the car)... if not, you will have to rekey all the locks.
(I had to have this done with my truck many years ago after it was stolen/recovered)
Old 04-12-2013, 10:52 PM
DirtyJersey

I'm a mechanic for Ford and I will tell you it is easier to rekey the ignition than all the doors after making a new key that fits the doors. A good locksmith can take apart one of your door cylinders and decode it that way. The doors and ignition actually use different ends of the key cut.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:14 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Since you are talking about replacing the battery I assume that this is the dealer purchased keyless entry.

Just curious, where did you mount your keyless entry?

I have had to buy a couple of them because they eventually quit working even with a fresh battery. I noticed that they aren't sealed all that great, if at all, and moved my keypad to the underside of the lip above the license plate where it stays out of sight and, more importantly I think, out of the weather.