4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

98 Sagging Doors

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 06:11 AM
Blackbelt

Default 98 Sagging Doors

So is there a good door hinge repair kit that anyone can recommend? My drivers door is sagging and starting to annoy me. I used to have a 81 Firebird and did the same thing.. not sure if there is a bushing repair kit for our mustangs or not that someone would recommend.

Thanks,

Adam
Old 04-17-2013, 06:45 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Yes there are bushing/pin kits. Doorman makes one, if I remember correctly. You can pick them up at rockauto.com or your local auto parts store. Good luck...
Old 04-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Blackbelt

yes they have them at my local Autozone.. SWEET!... how difficult is it to swap them out? anyone have experience with this?
Old 11-22-2013, 01:05 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

I recently replaced the bushings & pins on my wifey’s ’98. Its not that difficult. The hard part is balancing the door while your working. I made a video about my experience and posted it on YouTube. Hope it helps someone out…

Old 11-25-2013, 10:22 PM
71_340
1st Gear Member

Very detailed video! I just have one question:

Shouldn't both bushing be installed so the collar/shoulder is located between the spaces where the inner (frame) and outer (door) hinges pivot so is brass/steel contact? It looks like lower bushing was upside down.

Regardless....good instructions.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:13 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 71_340
Very detailed video!
Thanks...

Shouldn't both bushing be installed so the collar/shoulder is located between the spaces where the inner (frame) and outer (door) hinges pivot so is brass/steel contact?
Yes, that is correct. The bushings go on the part of the hinge that attaches to the door. The top bushing is pressed down from the top of the hinge and the bottom bushing is pressed up through the bottom of the hinge. Then when you mate the door side hinge with the frame side hinge the bushing collar/shoulder is sandwiched in-between the door side hinge & the frame side hinge.

It looks like lower bushing was upside down.
Nope. Its pressed up through the bottom of the door hinge, as we both described. :-) Sorry I didn’t show it well enough in the vid.

Thanks for watching the video… Hope it helps you out.

Last edited by petrock; 11-26-2013 at 02:18 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:17 AM
71_340
1st Gear Member

I am sure the video helps a lot of people. I done it many times over the years on different cars and as you say, the hardest part is balancing the door one unbolted. I like you idea with the straps; never thought of that.

That what all the tech forums are about. You share experiences and everybody can learn from it. I've been working on cars since the early 70's and learn something new all the time.

In my comments I just wanted to make sure that people understand how the bushings are designed to work; keep up the good instructional videos!
Old 12-02-2013, 05:03 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

keep up the good instructional videos!
Thanks… Will do… :-)
Old 06-04-2014, 05:43 AM
col2560
1st Gear Member

wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to just replace the entire hinge? my doors won't stay open, so maybe there is something else worn besides the bushings ?
Old 06-11-2014, 05:55 PM
LimosAreLame

I replaced mine.. you can get the pins and bushings from the ford dealer for cheap, you want the pin that has the perforated ends so that they bite into the bushings. The bushings the give you are over sized so that when you take your original ones out, you drill the holes out to fit the new bushings in tight. Honestly the best way to do it is, disconnect the wire harness that goes threw your door and threw the door jam, unbolt the hinges and then just take the door rite off.. drill out your holes then put it all back together.. extra hands are helpful. . If your pins don't have a cotter pin for the end, I recommend just putting a small tack weld just to keep the pin from ever getting out.

Quick Reply: 98 Sagging Doors