4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6 Crown Vic to Mustang question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 04:57 PM
acaeton4

Default 4.6 Crown Vic to Mustang question

Hey all, I'm new here but picked this forum because it seemed to have quite a few knowledgeable and helpful members. I'm an auto tech by trade, so competent with the work ahead of me on this car, but after lots of searching I can't seem to track down a few little bits of info I need. I'm in need of a motor for my 97 GT Conv. I can save several hundred and get a lower mileage motor by purchasing one from a CV of the same vintage (probably also not been driven as hard). I know that with a few parts switched over the Crown Vic engine can drop right in, that much I can figure out. What I'm wondering is this: The power specs for the CV are considerably lower than the Mustang. Is this an internal (pistons, cams...) build issue, or just the way it's tuned. If I plug it into my Mustang ECM will it run just like my original motor? I'm not looking for suggestions or opinions on how to build loads of power, or what else might work, just want an answer from somebody who knows as I've read that they have different cam profiles, and ALSO that they are identical internally, it's just programming. So if you can help me, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:07 PM
acaeton4

And like an idiot noob I somehow managed to post this in the wrong spot. If you happen to be a moderator looking at this...please help me out and move this to the "swap" section.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:36 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

if this is a npi 4.6 engine, its a complete long block drop in. the motors are exactly the same internally. if its the pi engine, you will only need the pi intake manifold.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:41 PM
acaeton4

Thanks for the info. I'm not looking to build a street racer or anything, but I really didn't want to give up any more of what little power these things have.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:52 PM
ZeroTX
2nd Gear Member

If I were you, I'd locate a PI Crown Vic motor (2001+?), swap a Mustang PI intake onto it, and do the PI conversion. It should run ok on the stock tune and it'll feel a lot faster than your stock npi with a good tune done.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:10 PM
acaeton4

OK, so pricing 01+ Crown Vic engines and they are actually in my price range (about half the price of the 01 Mustang Engines). Hadn't even really looked at those, so thanks for the info. What would I be looking at besides the intake as far as something I couldn't switch over directly from my 97? Also, without a tune, what kind of power gains are we talking about? Anything over the stock 215 is great, just curious.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:25 PM
acaeton4

Also, I've got a 5 spd. Would that bolt up to my flywheel properly?
Old 04-23-2013, 03:17 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by acaeton4
OK, so pricing 01+ Crown Vic engines and they are actually in my price range (about half the price of the 01 Mustang Engines). Hadn't even really looked at those, so thanks for the info. What would I be looking at besides the intake as far as something I couldn't switch over directly from my 97? Also, without a tune, what kind of power gains are we talking about? Anything over the stock 215 is great, just curious.
Your 97 npi intake will work but it will not flow well on the pi heads. The factory pi intake manifold is cheap, just make sure you get one with the aluminum coolant crossover. Horsepower range for a pi engine is around 260 flywheel. With your stock tune, it should be close to this.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:19 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by acaeton4
Also, I've got a 5 spd. Would that bolt up to my flywheel properly?
Some of the pi engines were either 6 or 8 bolt cranks. You might luck up and get the same as your car but if not, you can buy a stock replacement for the pi engine.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:49 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Go for the newer PI head motor for sure, and its pretty much a direct swap.

Quick Reply: 4.6 Crown Vic to Mustang question