4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rack or ball joint? D/c'd tie rod and no noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Aquakitty

Question Rack or ball joint? D/c'd tie rod and no noise

I have an intermittent issue with a snapping noise coming from somewhere after I've been driving for a bit. I took off one tie rod end to see if I could isolate the noise. Now when I turn that wheel there is no noise, and if I move the steering wheel a bit, there is no noise.

Could it still be the rack or is it more likely the ball joint? I did not have any noticable steering issues just a snapping, groaning noise.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Aquakitty

Here is a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTC7A...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Fastblackstang

Did u check all of your suspension as far as struts and strut mounts. Ball joints usually squeak while turning, it could very well be coming from the rack. It may be the outer tie rod ball is dry inside the socket creating a noise, is that a grease able tie rod?
Old 05-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Aquakitty

It may be the outer tie rod ball is dry inside the socket creating a noise, is that a grease able tie rod?
I really wish I read that, or listened to my gut, before I trusted my "mechanic" family member.

After we replaced the rack, we were horrified to hear the sound once again. Finally I took a really good look at it, and determined it was in fact coming from the tie rod end.
Now, when I said ball joint in my first post there, I actually meant tie rod. For some reason, I thought the tie rod was a ball joint. Yea, I am a total newb to car suspension, rofl.

It turned out to be a dry tie rod just as you said. The boot on the end was either rotted or torn in one spot (not greasable, but only $15 each to replace and the new ones have a grease port).

Oh well, having a new rack does not hurt. The old rack inner arms kind of flopped around a lot, it might have been not a bad thing to replace it anyways.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Fastblackstang

Glad to hear u got it fixed. Happy motoring if u need any more help feel free to ask we have all been there at one time. Yea after time inner tie rods will loosen up its normal they are all basically a ball and socket as well under that boot, be sure to get an alignment after changing the tie rod u don't want to wear your tires wrong.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Aquakitty

Yep, I drove it straight to the alignment shop. After replacing the rack we attempted to follow measurement instructions for avoiding having to get an alignment but that turned out rather comically. At least this experience has taught me a bunch about cars.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Fastblackstang

Good I am glad to hear it worked out well. I know the feeling I was younger and didn't know crap lol. The best way to learn is hands in my opinion, yea anyone can read a book but by far seeing and doing is the best way to learn. Well if u have anymore questions feel free to ask. I had surgery on my hand and cant return to work for a month it blows cause I am pretty limited as to what I can do, but at least here I can feel like I am doing something useful for myself and my fellow mustang owners.