4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Straight pipes?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 11:21 AM
lts_Mr_Yum_Yum
1st Gear Member

Default Straight pipes?!

What exactly does straight pipes sound like with stock headers, O/R x pype and then straight pipes to the tailpipes? Does it sound anything like open headers?? Because I took my mufflers off just for fun and just left the x pype and it was horrible... It fell like lightning come out of the car and not in a good way!

My buddy's Gt has hooker headers an O/R x pipe and straight piped and it's one of the best sounding mustangs I've ever heard! I know headers make a difference..

All the videos I've seen of straight piped 4.6 GT's all sound different.. And if straight piped is anything like no mufflers just headers and x pipe ill pass!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:14 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

some mufflers are straight through like glass packs or Magna packs. the added travel path of the exhaust is going to make mid pipe only sound much different than a muffler delete and full tips.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:27 PM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lts_Mr_Yum_Yum
What exactly does straight pipes sound like with stock headers, O/R x pype and then straight pipes to the tailpipes? Does it sound anything like open headers?? Because I took my mufflers off just for fun and just left the x pype and it was horrible... It fell like lightning come out of the car and not in a good way!

My buddy's Gt has hooker headers an O/R x pipe and straight piped and it's one of the best sounding mustangs I've ever heard! I know headers make a difference..

All the videos I've seen of straight piped 4.6 GT's all sound different.. And if straight piped is anything like no mufflers just headers and x pipe ill pass!
Terrible, IMO. I am running stock headers, OR/X, and SLP1 for the moment (Cats went bad, waiting for new ones to arrive) and it is LOUD and sounds terrible. Sounds like a machine gun to me. Can't wait to get some cats back on and quiet it down and give it a little tone.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:34 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

volume is always important in my opinion, but it also has to have a good tone. people will look at your car and think its a garbage truck. people appreciate a nice-toned yet still loud exhaust. Borla atak and slp lm1 with cats sound good
Old 05-01-2013, 10:08 AM
lts_Mr_Yum_Yum
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SXGT
some mufflers are straight through like glass packs or Magna packs. the added travel path of the exhaust is going to make mid pipe only sound much different than a muffler delete and full tips.

Originally my car just had stock headers, O/R x pipe, and Magnaflow magnapacks. And I honestly HATED it. Probably the worse exhaust I've ever had. It's so like poopy on downshifts and deceleration it feels like my car is farting... I took the tailpipes off and just left the magnablows dumped and it sounds a little better but still I don't like it at all.

It's all probably because my 95 5.0 had such a great sound... Now this one can't compare at all.. Honestly my 4.6 GT with the Magnaflow exhaust it kinda sounds like a V6..
Old 05-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Shredder505
2nd Gear Member

I have Mac LT Headers, Catted X-Pipe, with Muffler Deletes, and everyone I have met loves the way it sounds

Mine is the first car to pull out with the chrome saleens
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater
Old 05-01-2013, 08:40 PM
TheDullahan
1st Gear Member

I will be trying strait pipe just after the stock cat and h pipe I will post a video when I get it complete. Just going to try it before I weld up some flowmasters
Old 06-18-2013, 01:58 PM
05windviel
2nd Gear Member

what did you end up doing? i had a muffler shop take some extra mufflers off and cut the end off to make little muffler deletes and the welded the tip from the muffler on the end and i thought it sounded good but they made them too short and couldn't see the tip out of the bumper so had them put some 18" log 3" rolled tips on it instead and i'll tell you the tip made a huge difference in the sound, like it almost mellowed it out
Old 06-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

I've got BBK shortys, O/R MAC Pro Chamber, FM 44's. I like it on the street but the hwy drone is up there.

Shredder I have been through that tunnel many times. I sure miss my parents living up that way! They lived in White Haven. I'm in the navy and stationed down in the south.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:17 PM
antwaan
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheDullahan
I will be trying strait pipe just after the stock cat and h pipe I will post a video when I get it complete. Just going to try it before I weld up some flowmasters
I HAD stock mid pipe with straight pipes after on my car for the first 6 years I had it. Sounded decent. Sounded more like a ford truck but it was ok. Just yesterday switched to an O/R H and flowmaster super 44 catback and holy hell its so much better and the thing picks up at lower RPMs a lot nicer.

Quick Reply: Straight pipes?!