4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cated X pipe VS. Off Road X pipe ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 09:09 AM
rastarocket
1st Gear Member

Question Cated X pipe VS. Off Road X pipe ?

I have JBA long tube headers, an SLP high flow cat mid X pipe, and SLP loudmouth cat back. it sounds wicked pissah right now as it is, but i want it louder! would running an O/R X pipe get me that? would a Mac Pro Chamber be an even better choice? can i get away with no cats since i have headers? would i lose anything ditchin the cats? any help would be very much appreciated
Old 05-01-2013, 10:22 AM
lts_Mr_Yum_Yum
1st Gear Member

Can't go wrong with X pipes in my opinion. Cats hold
Back sound so much. All the 3 mustangs I've had I heard before exhaust mods and after and they all had x pipes. Removing the cats will open up the entire exhaust and give a mean sound ! Worse thing that can happen by removing your cats you
Might get 02 sensor check engine codes. But if that's something bothersome
You can just throw in mil elimators
Old 05-01-2013, 10:23 AM
lts_Mr_Yum_Yum
1st Gear Member

Post a video of the sound before and after .
Old 05-01-2013, 10:48 AM
rastarocket
1st Gear Member

im not too worried about the code popping up since i already had my rear o2 sensors turned off via tune, but also if i do ditch the cats a need a test pipe to replace them, and i have no clue where to find a set.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Luke13
2nd Gear Member

You might be better off just buying an off road mid pipe to replace the one you have, then keep the old one for when you need cats. I know there's a few brands that make long mid pipes that come with sections of pipes and cats to go back and forth. I'm sure they make a shorty mid pipe similar to that.

If you have enough room on your current mid pipe,cut out the cats leaving some pipe with them, then cut a pipe the right length and same diameter as your pipe. Use band clamps to keep them in place, and switch back the straight pipe to cats when needed.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:09 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

personally i think that setup is going to be wayyyyyyy too loud

like luke said you might be better off getting the off road pipe seperate, SLP discontinued the "race pipes" so its very hard to find them, plus o/r pipes dont cost too much
Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 PM
rastarocket
1st Gear Member

well i would do that, but the other thing is that my mid pipe is sorta custom... so a regular mid pipe for LT headers wont fit right, so my options are, gut the cat (last resort), or somehow find or have made, a "race pipe" type thing. which i would be able to do, there are enough exhaust places aronund here someone could make it, BUT other than the too loud aspect, which i might find out my self, as far as power and numbers are concerned, what would the diference be there? better or worse?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:22 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rastarocket
im not too worried about the code popping up since i already had my rear o2 sensors turned off via tune, but also if i do ditch the cats a need a test pipe to replace them, and i have no clue where to find a set.

so you can get a tune on the PCM to shut them off? interesting i wonder if Bama tunes can do that on my Diablosport INTune.

EDIT: after now having an OR X pipe I will never go with CAT again. its night and day.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:32 AM
rastarocket
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SXGT
so you can get a tune on the PCM to shut them off? interesting i wonder if Bama tunes can do that on my Diablosport INTune.

EDIT: after now having an OR X pipe I will never go with CAT again. its night and day.
oh yess, i called them up and told them that i keep getting a code which was comming from the rear o2 sensors, they said ok, well when people get high flow cats or off road mid pipes, the tune they write for them just deactivates that sensor since it would normally pop with the change of, or complete removal of cats, so i just had them write me the tune for an OFF ROAD x pipe and, bada bing, bada boom, no code, BUT im more interested in what you said about no cats?! what makes you say you would never go back? does it sound much better? do you feel like it performs better?
Old 05-02-2013, 12:52 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

Who did your tune? I have diablosport and Bama tunes. Its just a meaner sound, louder, has more grumble to it.

Quick Reply: Cated X pipe VS. Off Road X pipe ?