Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Sponsored by Cruizin Concepts

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
thatdude305
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 02' GT
Default Headers??

I am in the market for LT Headers. I am interested in JBA LT ceramic coated with the off road shorty H pipe. I read that ceramic is the way to go so I chose that. As far as JBA I hear good things except for price. I see americanmuscle has Mac and BBK. Would anyone recommend those cheaper brands or should i spend the few extra dollars??
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 05-13-2013, 02:38 AM   #2
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013, Ford, GT/CS

Na! get Pacesetters real cheap Long Tubes $2-300. Ceramics are nice, they keep the heat in the pipe and sent it out back. Your engine compartment stays cooler. Cheap is best for you'll never get your money back selling it. Cheap parts that work and you won't miss them when they are traded-in. Ex: I spend $12K modding an $15K 06 GT with 80,000 mile, at best you'll get $8K back on a trade.
VistaBlueFrank68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
Luke13
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2003 Mustang GT

I did months and months of research before buying a set of long tubes for my mustang. My original plan was to get the cheap set, even though I've read reviews about fitment issues.

In the end i ended up coming across a cheap, new in the box, set of BBK ceramic long tubes. They rarely had any reviews stating fitment issues, and had the ceramic coating. Paired it with a Pypes shorty off road h-pipe.

I did all the work myself, along with the help of a friend. In my garage, four jack stands, two floor jacks, and necessary tools. It was a 12 hour install start to test drive. The install itself was very taxing, painful, and frustrating.

My point- if you are doing the install yourself, get a good quality set of longtubes. Don't buy something with any chance of fitment issues. There are milimeters of clearence in some spots for the long tubes, numerous knuckle scraping bolts to tighten, and little room for error. A shop with the proper equipment could bend and weld any spots that gave them trouble, but I didn't have those resources.

If you're looking at getting a shop to install them you're looking at a $400+ install price. The cheapest I found in my area was $450, and the guy would need my car for about two days. He didn't mention anything about price change if he ran into a problem.
Luke13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
Dooney
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2001, Ford, Mustang GT
Dooney91

I'm running BBK LT's and I didn't have any issues except the fact that my EGR pipe did not line up so I had to delete it
Dooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
AMShaneLesky
Platinum Sponsor

Vehicle: 2013 Mustang GT Premium
americanmusclefb americanmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdude305 View Post
I am in the market for LT Headers. I am interested in JBA LT ceramic coated with the off road shorty H pipe. I read that ceramic is the way to go so I chose that. As far as JBA I hear good things except for price. I see americanmuscle has Mac and BBK. Would anyone recommend those cheaper brands or should i spend the few extra dollars??
thatdude305,

JBA makes a very nice header and I think you'll be happy with their quality. However, we've had a lot of success using the BBK LT ceramic headers, too! They fit great and make equivalent power to the JBA's.

Either way, I'm confident you'll be happy with one of the two. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.257.1770 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
GET UP TO $200 TOWARDS YOUR NEXT PURCHASE FROM AM!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMShaneLesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
dustin_ra

Vehicle: 1988, Ford, Mustang

I already have most of my mods complete. Now I should have gotten ceramic headers, but did not. Does anyone have anything against the header wrap? Should I take mine off and have them ceramic coated, or just go ahead and wrap them. Mind you my car is turbocharged so there is much heat in the bay. I need to do something soon.
dustin_ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
Luke13
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2003 Mustang GT

From what I've read the wrap will actually trap water and worsen the rusting of the headers, and by the time you realize it through the wrap its too late.
Luke13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
thatdude305
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 02' GT

True statement...
Old 05-13-2013, 02:46 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement