4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mustang mystery problem????

Old 05-18-2013, 07:34 AM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Default Mustang mystery problem????

Ok. A strange thing happened the other day. I was driving down the street and it started to rain which is no big deal. It wasn't raining hard and there weren't any big puddles on the road. On my way home the started to jerking as I was about 30-40mph a little on the hard side. I called my tuner up (who is also a mechanic) and told him what happened when I crawled it home and he had me check my MAF (which was unreachable since it was in the right fender and I just installed an Anderson power pipe ) and then plug in my Predator handheld. No CEL light were on so he had me do some checking around in the Predator and than told me to check my coils and my fuel rails. He also had me unplug a electronic device in the middle of the fuel rail that was attached to a hose and told me to turn the car in the on position because fuel would shoot out of there when I did for a second but when I did nothing happened. As of yesterday the problem just happen to go away and the car is now running fine!? This has me baffled. I know this might be a tough one to crack but if anyone might have a clue as to what happened I would be very grateful. Thanks always guys!!!
Old 05-18-2013, 05:04 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

A shot in the dark, but maybe the fuel pump going bad? Or something not so serious and easier to fix maybe a clogged fuel filter?
Old 05-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

I just got a fuel system done. I doubt it but what else can it be?
Old 05-19-2013, 12:24 AM
jjstandardz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragonus18
Ok. A strange thing happened the other day. I was driving down the street and it started to rain which is no big deal. It wasn't raining hard and there weren't any big puddles on the road. On my way home the started to jerking as I was about 30-40mph a little on the hard side. I called my tuner up (who is also a mechanic) and told him what happened when I crawled it home and he had me check my MAF (which was unreachable since it was in the right fender and I just installed an Anderson power pipe ) and then plug in my Predator handheld. No CEL light were on so he had me do some checking around in the Predator and than told me to check my coils and my fuel rails. He also had me unplug a electronic device in the middle of the fuel rail that was attached to a hose and told me to turn the car in the on position because fuel would shoot out of there when I did for a second but when I did nothing happened. As of yesterday the problem just happen to go away and the car is now running fine!? This has me baffled. I know this might be a tough one to crack but if anyone might have a clue as to what happened I would be very grateful. Thanks always guys!!!
Sounds the exact same as what happened to my mustang. One (or most likely more) of the coil on plugs are going bad, or the boots are worn out/leaking. My car used to sputter real bad and miss when i would hit puddles or drive in the rain or anything like that. I could not figure it out it would just go away after a day (water dries up).

After a while the COPS will short out and it will always do it though, i just replaced all of mine with accel aftermarket ones and it runs like brand new.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jjstandardz
Sounds the exact same as what happened to my mustang. One (or most likely more) of the coil on plugs are going bad, or the boots are worn out/leaking. My car used to sputter real bad and miss when i would hit puddles or drive in the rain or anything like that. I could not figure it out it would just go away after a day (water dries up).

After a while the COPS will short out and it will always do it though, i just replaced all of mine with accel aftermarket ones and it runs like brand new.
Do they go bad after a certain amount of miles or a certain amount of time? I just had my block built and the motor has almost its first 1,000 miles. I have originally 57,000 miles on the odometer. I barely drive this thing.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

bump!
Old 05-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Mileage is irrelevant. Your car is 10 years old, rubber cracks. Simple check is to pull them out and look at them.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:56 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stevo86
Mileage is irrelevant. Your car is 10 years old, rubber cracks. Simple check is to pull them out and look at them.
I'm guessing just check and see if they're cracked or worn out? Is it an expensive fix to replace them? Never did this before.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

Three bucks a piece for new boots isn't that big of an investment. Coils will essentially last forever, if you get them wet, or feed them after midnight.
Joking aside I think it's every 30/50k you should consider replacing the boots.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Seabee1993
Three bucks a piece for new boots isn't that big of an investment. Coils will essentially last forever, if you get them wet, or feed them after midnight.
Joking aside I think it's every 30/50k you should consider replacing the boots.
Ok. Thanks for telling me. I had no idea. That's a tiny fix. I should try that one for sure. Other than that is there anything else that maybe comes to mind?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mustang mystery problem????