Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Sponsored by Cruizin Concepts

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2003 mustang gt
Default Mustang mystery problem????

Ok. A strange thing happened the other day. I was driving down the street and it started to rain which is no big deal. It wasn't raining hard and there weren't any big puddles on the road. On my way home the started to jerking as I was about 30-40mph a little on the hard side. I called my tuner up (who is also a mechanic) and told him what happened when I crawled it home and he had me check my MAF (which was unreachable since it was in the right fender and I just installed an Anderson power pipe ) and then plug in my Predator handheld. No CEL light were on so he had me do some checking around in the Predator and than told me to check my coils and my fuel rails. He also had me unplug a electronic device in the middle of the fuel rail that was attached to a hose and told me to turn the car in the on position because fuel would shoot out of there when I did for a second but when I did nothing happened. As of yesterday the problem just happen to go away and the car is now running fine!? This has me baffled. I know this might be a tough one to crack but if anyone might have a clue as to what happened I would be very grateful. Thanks always guys!!!
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
BBK Longtube ceramic coated headers
BBK off road X-pipe
Borla cat-back exhaust
BBK 78mm throttle body/ plenum
MMR 1-5/8 full length subframe connectors
Dual Aeroforce Interceptor scan gauges
Drag suspension/ Nitto 555R's/ rear seat delete
Anderson power pipe
Dragonus18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 04 GT vert

A shot in the dark, but maybe the fuel pump going bad? Or something not so serious and easier to fix maybe a clogged fuel filter?
FlamingoGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

I just got a fuel system done. I doubt it but what else can it be?
Old 05-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #4
jjstandardz
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 02 mustang gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonus18 View Post
Ok. A strange thing happened the other day. I was driving down the street and it started to rain which is no big deal. It wasn't raining hard and there weren't any big puddles on the road. On my way home the started to jerking as I was about 30-40mph a little on the hard side. I called my tuner up (who is also a mechanic) and told him what happened when I crawled it home and he had me check my MAF (which was unreachable since it was in the right fender and I just installed an Anderson power pipe ) and then plug in my Predator handheld. No CEL light were on so he had me do some checking around in the Predator and than told me to check my coils and my fuel rails. He also had me unplug a electronic device in the middle of the fuel rail that was attached to a hose and told me to turn the car in the on position because fuel would shoot out of there when I did for a second but when I did nothing happened. As of yesterday the problem just happen to go away and the car is now running fine!? This has me baffled. I know this might be a tough one to crack but if anyone might have a clue as to what happened I would be very grateful. Thanks always guys!!!
Sounds the exact same as what happened to my mustang. One (or most likely more) of the coil on plugs are going bad, or the boots are worn out/leaking. My car used to sputter real bad and miss when i would hit puddles or drive in the rain or anything like that. I could not figure it out it would just go away after a day (water dries up).

After a while the COPS will short out and it will always do it though, i just replaced all of mine with accel aftermarket ones and it runs like brand new.
jjstandardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstandardz View Post
Sounds the exact same as what happened to my mustang. One (or most likely more) of the coil on plugs are going bad, or the boots are worn out/leaking. My car used to sputter real bad and miss when i would hit puddles or drive in the rain or anything like that. I could not figure it out it would just go away after a day (water dries up).

After a while the COPS will short out and it will always do it though, i just replaced all of mine with accel aftermarket ones and it runs like brand new.
Do they go bad after a certain amount of miles or a certain amount of time? I just had my block built and the motor has almost its first 1,000 miles. I have originally 57,000 miles on the odometer. I barely drive this thing.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

bump!
BBK off road X-pipe
Borla cat-back exhaust
Anderson power pipe
Old 05-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2000 Ford Mustang

Mileage is irrelevant. Your car is 10 years old, rubber cracks. Simple check is to pull them out and look at them.
Stevo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo86 View Post
Mileage is irrelevant. Your car is 10 years old, rubber cracks. Simple check is to pull them out and look at them.
I'm guessing just check and see if they're cracked or worn out? Is it an expensive fix to replace them? Never did this before.
BBK off road X-pipe
Borla cat-back exhaust
Anderson power pipe
Old 05-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2000 Ford, Mustang GT

Three bucks a piece for new boots isn't that big of an investment. Coils will essentially last forever, if you get them wet, or feed them after midnight.
Joking aside I think it's every 30/50k you should consider replacing the boots.
Seabee1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee1993 View Post
Three bucks a piece for new boots isn't that big of an investment. Coils will essentially last forever, if you get them wet, or feed them after midnight.
Joking aside I think it's every 30/50k you should consider replacing the boots.
Ok. Thanks for telling me. I had no idea. That's a tiny fix. I should try that one for sure. Other than that is there anything else that maybe comes to mind?
BBK off road X-pipe
Borla cat-back exhaust
Anderson power pipe
Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang