4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Old Pony Gets A Second Chance

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 06:15 PM
ZeroTX
2nd Gear Member

I dunno if PI heads have any different exhaust sound than the non-PI, but generally speaking you won't find a car that sounds nicer than a good running 2v 4.6L. There are lots of faster, more powerful cars, but many of them sound like *** (GM LS motors, Chrysler Hemis, Ford Coyote). There's something to be said for cool sound and I believe that Ford engineered this for the 2v, due to the popularity of the 5.0L/Flowmaster sound from 1986-1993.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Scribbles

Well after some stormy weather, I finally was able to get some work done on the. Managed to replace both the drivers and passengers side window motors. Both motors work well and go up and down, the only minor issue left is that the passenger window control on the drivers side door doesn't work, only the passenger controls seem to work for it at the moment.

Removing the window motors wasn't too hard I found a video on youtube which demonstrated removing both the motor and regulator, however I found that it wasn't necessary to remove the regulator simply loosening a few of the regulator bolts and taking out the bolts that hold the motor was enough to remover the motor with the regulator in place.

Along with these successes another issue has cropped up, the fuel filler neck grommet on the gas tank seems to be dry rotted and will need to be replaced. That will likely be the next thing to be done.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Scribbles

Originally Posted by Scribbles
Well after some stormy weather, I finally was able to get some work done on the. Managed to replace both the drivers and passengers side window motors. Both motors work well and go up and down, the only minor issue left is that the passenger window control on the drivers side door doesn't work, only the passenger controls seem to work for it at the moment.

Removing the window motors wasn't too hard I found a video on youtube which demonstrated removing both the motor and regulator, however I found that it wasn't necessary to remove the regulator simply loosening a few of the regulator bolts and taking out the bolts that hold the motor was enough to remover the motor with the regulator in place.

Along with these successes another issue has cropped up, the fuel filler neck grommet on the gas tank seems to be dry rotted and will need to be replaced. That will likely be the next thing to be done.
Also forgot to mention the new motors have a hard plastic outer housing instead of metal therefore weigh a few grams less than the originals so therefore I now count this as a performance modification. )=U
Pro gram by gram weight reduction ftw heh
Old 06-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Resurrect is awesome. Good Luck with it. I am trying to bring some dignity back to a 2000 convertible myself. (see sig)

I always find these threads interesting because I liked to know what other folks have been going through.

If you end up needing some interior panel parts, I have some door handle pieces and A pillar for a couple (Dark Charcoal) they are in decent shape. The RH door pull shgut molding was screwed into the door panel so it has a screw whole it in. But if you pay shipping I am willing to send all the parts to ya for free.

Will post pics of them tonight
Old 06-03-2013, 10:23 AM
JimK

Scribbles,

Where are you sourcing your parts? I am sure people would like to know this.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Scribbles

I got both new (not rebuilt) window motors from Autozone for about $47 each with a lifetime warranty.

I think I'll be getting the filler neck grommet from latemodelrestoration.com I believe it was about $18
Old 06-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Scribbles

Managed to get the one piece fuel filler tube out without dropping the gas tank, this was somewhat difficult, but achievable. Then replaced the grommet on the side of the tank. Getting the one piece filler tube back into position turned out to be nearly impossible, in the end some 'minor' modification to the trunk floor was required to get the leverage that was needed. But I was able to get the tube back in and everything is back to normal save a couple pieces of carpet that need to be put back into place.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Drooling here...
Old 06-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Scribbles

Probably looks a bit better than it really is but here's a preview of it sitting in front of my apartment:

Name:  my-gt.png
Views: 51
Size:  554.9 KB
Old 06-11-2013, 09:16 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Managed to get the one piece fuel filler tube out without dropping the gas tank, this was somewhat difficult, but achievable. Then replaced the grommet on the side of the tank. Getting the one piece filler tube back into position turned out to be nearly impossible, in the end some 'minor' modification to the trunk floor was required to get the leverage that was needed. But I was able to get the tube back in and everything is back to normal save a couple pieces of carpet that need to be put back into place.
Why didn't you just drop the F'n tank it is to damn bolts and it drops right down. Instead you force and bend **** to get it in and probably F'ed up the grommet again

Quick Reply: Old Pony Gets A Second Chance