4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How to go about doing it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 11:13 AM
QATIM

Default How to go about doing it?

I have a 2003 GT, with a few mods: Welded in FLSC, 6-speed tranny, UPR tubular, Front coilovers (UPR), CC plates (UPR). Next will be the servicing of the rearend, gears and what not. I'm working towards, eventually, being that I'm a baller on a budget. Installing the Hellion TT kit. My questions are; what order should I take? I'm thinking should I beef up the whole rearend, or just change the gears? Can I keep all of my bells and whistles with the TT set up? If not, I'll go with a larger single turbo set up. I'm working towards purchasing a short block from DSS, (forged), what set up should I go with here? I may upgrade to a long block with after market heads if needed. I'd like to stay 2V, so I could rebuild the stock heads and also port, valve job and upgrade to stay within budget. I'm in the Houston,TX area. I've heard good things about Westside Machine, any thoughts? I could just buy a rotating assembly and let them rebuild everything along with purchasing a Teksid block. What to do? I would like a objective outlook, hence coming here, and not asking my mechanic that I use. He's excellent, and never steered me wrong. But I would just like to know what my "peers" have in mind. Thanks for y'alls time and efforts.

Signed,

Noobie
Old 05-28-2013, 07:01 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

What exactly is your budget
Old 05-28-2013, 03:57 PM
moncherou

what does the hellion kit make, 600ish at the wheel? I think you should call them up and have a series of nice chats. the plumbing for the turbos is going to limit you alot, its not like we have alot of extra room in the engine bay.

if i were you, i'd just slap on a blower and be done with it. that said, i'm lazy. you're going to need something on the order of $15,000+ for what you want. with the extra money you could go buy a house (down payment) if you don't have one, or tour the world.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:43 AM
QATIM

It will be a slow build, LOL. I wouldn't say the budget is endless, lord knows it's not. I've never really sat down and figured it out, I'd scare my wife. I'll probably spend $1500 rebuilding my rearend. Another 3 or 4 thousand on a shortblock. I'm wondering if I should rebuild my heads or go after market? I'm up for suggestions on power adders, I'd just get a kick out of having a totally efficient car, no?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:52 AM
moncherou

efficient and fun, vortech + intercooler with some long tube headers and a good dyno tune, intake, plenum = 400 at the wheel (475 crank) for maybe $6k. In CA the labor is expensive, along with everything else (i still love CA), mebee in TX you'd get a little break just because there is alot more interest in modding out there (imo).
Old 05-29-2013, 09:57 AM
moncherou

i think the stock rear end could handle 400 at the wheel, 600 from a tt kit is another story and out of my knowledge on what you'd have to do. i think beefing up the chassis, brakes, axle would be absolute reqirements just to name a few. i don't think a single turbo is going to work because its even harder to plumb that up for our cars.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:37 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

My person opinion, buy a long block. Get it all done, rip yours out and drop the new one in. that would have saved me SOOOOOO much time. Redoing the heads, adding every little arp bolt, head gaskets, intake spacers yada yada. buy a built motor specific for your power adder and your boost/hp goals, and drop in, and go. Figure you'll have plenty of down time installing and doing the turbo setup and upgraded fuel system.