4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Passing inspection with o/r h pipe?

Old 06-07-2013, 12:35 AM
built67
2nd Gear Member

Default Passing inspection with o/r h pipe?

I am going to install an o/r jba h pipe on my 2000 GT. It has a diablo tuner in which i can turn off my rear O2s. Will this pass inspection? Or do I need MIL elims on the car and keep the rear O2s on?

Thanks
Old 06-07-2013, 01:03 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

If you get a shop that actually checks the exhaust, you are screwed. Just use the tuner and find a shop in the shady part of town to do it.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:18 AM
04Blue281

I have NO idea what kind of inspections they do in YOUR state.

Here, in Kansas City, Missouri (and the cities/counties surrounding Kansas City) you would need to have the cats installed to pass inspection. There is no "sniffer/emissions" test --- just a visual inspection. No cats on the visual inspection --- NO passing inspection!
Old 06-07-2013, 01:56 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 04Blue281
I have NO idea what kind of inspections they do in YOUR state.

Here, in Kansas City, Missouri (and the cities/counties surrounding Kansas City) you would need to have the cats installed to pass inspection. There is no "sniffer/emissions" test --- just a visual inspection. No cats on the visual inspection --- NO passing inspection!
My state has the same rules but the shadier shops don't always visually check em. Hell, half of the chuckleheads don't even know what a cat converter looks like.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:02 AM
04Blue281

Originally Posted by JC316
My state has the same rules but the shadier shops don't always visually check em. Hell, half of the chuckleheads don't even know what a cat converter looks like.
Totally understand! I ran my last Mustang GT (1986) with a Ford Racing "off road" H-Pipe --- no cats. But, I always had to seek out an inspection shop that would "look the other way" in order to pass my car on inspections.

It's just a hassle that doesn't seem to be necessary on the newer cars. Don't these newer performance pipes with "high flow" cats get the job done without the need to eliminate the cats??
Old 06-07-2013, 06:18 AM
built67
2nd Gear Member

its not the visual im worried about bc my cousin owns a shop lol. i read that even by using the tuner the computer can tell the OBDII system is ignoring the O2s and u wont pass. which is why u need MILs and to turn the O2s on. idk if this is true tho
Old 06-07-2013, 06:29 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by built67
its not the visual im worried about bc my cousin owns a shop lol. i read that even by using the tuner the computer can tell the OBDII system is ignoring the O2s and u wont pass. which is why u need MILs and to turn the O2s on. idk if this is true tho
No, if you don't have a CEL on, you aren't throwing a code. The only other component would be if the OBD system was ready or not, which as long as you haven't reset the computer in the last 100 miles or so, it should be.

Now they might be able to use the OBDII system to see O2 stats, but inspection isn't based on stats from all different paramters, it's just do you have a code or not.

Edit: Hmm.... you made me curious and I was reading more. Maybe there is some truth to that. I wish I had an O/R pipe to check myself, but I was reading that turning off the O2 in tune causes the catalyst system to show not ready. So the thing would be, how many not ready statuses does your state allow for your year car. If your catalyst system is the only one not ready, you might still pass since it's not throwing a code.

Last edited by AJ06GT; 06-07-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:51 AM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by built67
I remember reading a few states like NY have copied California on emissions laws and testing. If true, the test equipment will know. If the NY fines for cheating an emissions test are as high as California's, there aren't any test shops willing to look the other way.

...Do you know anybody with the same year / model Mustang? I am NOT suggesting plugging the test equipment into the OBDII port of a car with full emissions equipment because that would be illegal.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:12 AM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

I run an o/r x pipe and have to pass emissions every 2 years. I just throw my stock mid pipe back on when I go to test and take it off again after I pass. I have a tuner and my rear o2's are turned off and I passed without a problem.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:33 AM
2000MustangGTConvertible

I also have an o/r x-pipe with a Diablosport tuner. I installed the xpipe myself and my plan is to put my stock pipe on every 2 years to pass emissions. It's not that hard to install those and no shop in CO would install the pipes because that's illegal to do in CO if they don't have Cats.
Just keep your stock pipes just in case.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passing inspection with o/r h pipe?