4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

windsor cam caps

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 10:15 PM
daveyg

Default windsor cam caps

I bought some winsor heads from a guy and I have no idea what postion the cam caps go on? All of the caps are numbered but I cant find a diagram on where they go? Any help would be much appreciated
Old 06-18-2013, 07:11 AM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

They should only go on one way. Or at least only make sense one way.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:25 PM
DJINN n TONIC

Just went thru this........

PLEEEZE tell me that the caps are with the heads they came off of and not Thrown into a bag all mixed up...........

The cap itself MUST stay with the TOWER it came from when it was line bored at the factory. The caps cant be interchanged between positions, or used on another head.....

With that said....... I assume you are confused about which is #1....?? The large "3 bolt" cap is #1...and so on down the line ...1-6. The right side head will have the large cap in the rear, and the left head will have the large cap up front. With just the camshaft in place.( Leave the followers out for now), The caps will only fit "Properly" in one direction. I laid them on and tapped it with my fingertip And it makes an audible "Pop" when it seats. Try this both ways, and it will be pretty obvious that one of them is WRONG. If you have to draw it down with a bolt to make it sit, its WRONG. Using Nail polish, paint a mark on the edge of each cap, (front or back,it doesnt matter , as long as the marks are all facing in the same direction). assemble the heads with cams and followers and bolt em on....
Old 06-19-2013, 01:25 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by DJINN n TONIC
Just went thru this........

PLEEEZE tell me that the caps are with the heads they came off of and not Thrown into a bag all mixed up...........

The cap itself MUST stay with the TOWER it came from when it was line bored at the factory. The caps cant be interchanged between positions, or used on another head.....

With that said....... I assume you are confused about which is #1....?? The large "3 bolt" cap is #1...and so on down the line ...1-6. The right side head will have the large cap in the rear, and the left head will have the large cap up front. With just the camshaft in place.( Leave the followers out for now), The caps will only fit "Properly" in one direction. I laid them on and tapped it with my fingertip And it makes an audible "Pop" when it seats. Try this both ways, and it will be pretty obvious that one of them is WRONG. If you have to draw it down with a bolt to make it sit, its WRONG. Using Nail polish, paint a mark on the edge of each cap, (front or back,it doesnt matter , as long as the marks are all facing in the same direction). assemble the heads with cams and followers and bolt em on....
You can use cam caps from different heads as long as everything falls withing accetable specs, people with race motors do it all the time.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:51 PM
DJINN n TONIC

Agreed. But after all these years of having the general consensus of "Put em' back where they came from " drilled into my head, ( and trashing a head or two when they got mixed up), I just mark them coming off, and put them back where I found them.

Now , since I have very little background in Machine work, How would that be done?
Selective fit and Plastigage??? Bore gauge and measure diameter and "out of round???
Old 06-19-2013, 06:43 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Any head shop can measure with a bore gauge I would image, but you can usually tell by general sight if the cam journal on the cap and or the head is damage, its not a bad idea to put them exactly back but not necessary, when swapping new cams in it can't be exactly as before because of the new cam surface, which is along the same theroy. But its an easy judgment call to tell if the cam journals surfaces are damage. You can actually have the heads and caps re bored to accept actual bearings which is a good way to save worked heads that ended up with damaged cam surfaces