4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

throwout bearing with king cobra clutch kit from UPR doesn't look like OEM ford...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 04:10 PM
kingrukus
2nd Gear Member

Default throwout bearing with king cobra clutch kit from UPR doesn't look like OEM ford...

I purchased a King Cobra "economy" clutch kit from UPR about 2 summers ago and I am finally getting around to installing.

UPR said the throwout bearing included in the kit is supposed to be part # D9ZZ-7548-A however there is no Ford logo etched into it or any part number. I am worried that it is some aftermarket junk throwout bearing.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by kingrukus
I purchased a King Cobra "economy" clutch kit from UPR about 2 summers ago and I am finally getting around to installing.

UPR said the throwout bearing included in the kit is supposed to be part # D9ZZ-7548-A however there is no Ford logo etched into it or any part number. I am worried that it is some aftermarket junk throwout bearing.
1. Check your order when you receive it.

2. If you're worried, this should be a no brainer: BUY AN OEM UNIT FROM FORD. Or, install the unknown part and take your chances.

3. If Ford bearings do not have part numbers etched on them, the best chance of getting areal one is through Ford.

4. If you're asking about the quality of an unknown unmarked bearing, how the heck are any of us supposed to know any more than you?

Think about it. "I don't know if this is a good bearing. All I know it doesn't have a Ford part number, is it any good?" What answers do you expect?

"I've been using a generic T.O. bearing of unknown origin for 100,000 miles with no problems. There's no way to tell if yours is like mine."

"I installed a generic T.O. bearing of unknown origin and it failed after 200 miles! There's no way to tell if yours is like mine."

How about...

"The generic T.O. bearings of unknown origin from UPR are crap but the ones from AM are great! Of course I have no idea if either vendor is supplying the same bearings now as they did two years ago."

Name:  94PvO.gif
Views: 10
Size:  1.95 MB

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 06-23-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:48 PM
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
1. Check your order when you receive it.

2. If you're worried, this should be a no brainer: BUY AN OEM UNIT FROM FORD. Or, install the unknown part and take your chances.

3. If Ford bearings do not have part numbers etched on them, the best chance of getting areal one is through Ford.

4. If you're asking about the quality of an unknown unmarked bearing, how the heck are any of us supposed to know any more than you?

Think about it. "I don't know if this is a good bearing. All I know it doesn't have a Ford part number, is it any good?" What answers do you expect?

"I've been using a generic T.O. bearing of unknown origin for 100,000 miles with no problems. There's no way to tell if yours is like mine."

"I installed a generic T.O. bearing of unknown origin and it failed after 200 miles! There's no way to tell if yours is like mine."

How about...

"The generic T.O. bearings of unknown origin from UPR are crap but the ones from AM are great! Of course I have no idea if either vendor is supplying the same bearings now as they did two years ago."

Gee, I don't know maybe, just maybe, somebody has experience dealing with the UPR kit?
Old 06-24-2013, 08:10 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Hey man, I'm going tomorrow morning to get a new TB for my car from the Ford dealership. Post a picture of your part and I'll compare it to mine when I get home tomorrow afternoon.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:49 PM
kingrukus
2nd Gear Member

I ended up going to the Ford Dealership and buying part # F7ZZ-7548-AA release bearing so that I didn't take any chances. It has the Ford logo engraved in it and looks identical to the one in this ebay link:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BRAND-NEW-FOR...20f6b0&vxp=mtr