4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4R70W AODE transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 07:16 PM
bknoxx

Default 4R70W AODE transmission

I have a Question my 98 GT when in drive the trans, works perfect but when i drop it down into 1st manually it feels like it locks up or the parking break is on has anybody had this problem ?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:24 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

sounds like a problem with a linkage, I had that issue and had to adjuster the linkage and works fine now
Old 06-25-2013, 09:37 PM
bknoxx

ok ty i will check that out i thought maybe that could be it but somebody told me might be a solenoid
Old 06-26-2013, 12:48 AM
JJ Glo
1st Gear Member

That's what's supposed to happen, no? If you're in Drive, then drop it to first, it will slow down the car a lot, especially at slower speeds. The car will jerk and feel like you pulled the handbrake.

If you start out in 1st from a dead stop, then accelerate and let off the gas, it won't do that, it will gradually slow down.

At least that's what happens in my car.

Last edited by JJ Glo; 06-26-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:44 AM
bknoxx

Originally Posted by JJ Glo
That's what's supposed to happen, no? If you're in Drive, then drop it to first, it will slow down the car a lot, especially at slower speeds. The car will feel like you pulled the handbrake.

If you start out in 1st from a dead stop, then accelerate and let off the gas, it won't slow down as fast.

At least that's what happens in my car.
Npan ot straight feels like it locks up... Won't move at all... Lol
Old 06-26-2013, 05:45 AM
bknoxx

Originally Posted by bknoxx
Npan ot straight feels like it locks up... Won't move at all... Lol
Damn phone.. No man it locks up
Old 06-26-2013, 06:59 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

I agree with JJ Glo. It sounds like the normal behavior when going from Drive to 1st with an automatic transmission. It will effectively ‘engine brake’ the car very quickly. It will also throw you forward towards the steering wheel if your going fast enough at the time you throw it into 1st. The RPMs will jump way up until the MPH gets fairly low. You can easily damage your motor by over revving it if you go from Drive to 1st at too high a speed.

Why are you going into 1st in the first place? You should only be going into 2nd or 1st when you are climbing a very steep hill (2nd & 1st give more torque then Drive), or going down a steep hill and don’t want to wear out your brakes or warp them (2nd & 1st will allow you to use the engine to slow the car down, putting less stress on the brakes on long descents).
Old 06-26-2013, 12:39 PM
bknoxx

No guys lol .. I was talking about sitting still put car in first gear it will not move.. Put it in 2nd or dirve it works fine.. i dont do it while Im rolling.. I've had plenty of street cars usually older.. I Cant drag it if first doesn't work.. This is my first s95 just wondering if anybody had this problem before... Will check linkage..
Old 07-26-2013, 05:40 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Why is 1st needed to race on a drag strip? I'd think you would want to be in drive. 1st would wined out too quickly.

I've never raced an automatic before. Just curious.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:05 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Like stated check your linkage .
When in drive starting from a stand still if it runs out normally with no slipping , and shifts out though all the gears, then its something in the linkage.

When your in drive and you take off the trans automatically selects first gear , then 2nd then drive , then overdrive.
Placing an automatic in 1st gear effectively just prevents it from shifting into any other gear until you place the shifter there.
Now if you place the trans in drive and floor it it should take off and feel firm, if your rpms climb yet the trans feels slushy and you barely move then I would say you have an internal trans problem.
I think your linkage is off just enough that when you select first it is not quite locking in and your probly actually stuck in between 1st and 2nd .

Quick Reply: 4R70W AODE transmission