Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Sponsored by Cruizin Concepts


Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


dyno tune or bama tune?

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
dustya
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 01 ford mustang gt
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 19
Default dyno tune or bama tune?

Want your opinion which 1 is cost effective? Dyno tune 500 with a handheld or 380 for a bama tuner? My mods coldair and hpipe thats all I plan to do.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
uberstang1
Chupacabra
 
uberstang1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1997 Mustang GT, 2002 F150 XLT 4x4 Triton
Location: wilkes-barre PA
Posts: 9,462
MustangSVT97r
Send a message via AIM to uberstang1 Send a message via Yahoo to uberstang1
Default

You dont even need a tune really, but dyno tune is always the best route. Your cold air intake doesn't do anything more than the factory cold air intake except dress up the engine bay.
__________________
Street Car, 4v D1sc, 20psi,viper spec t56, Team Z/ UPR suspension.
SKELETON CREW RACING
uberstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Vehicle: 2003 mustang gt
Location: miami fl
Posts: 426
Default

Uber is actually pretty spot on. I had one and all it does is make a suction sound when you give it some gas. Sounds nice but doesnt really do anything. Same goes for the h-pipe. You might see a little more power but otherwise the same applies.
Dragonus18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
dustya
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 01 ford mustang gt
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberstang1 View Post
You dont even need a tune really, but dyno tune is always the best route. Your cold air intake doesn't do anything more than the factory cold air intake except dress up the engine bay.
So I should go with a dyno tune?
dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member
 
Soldier GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 2003 Ford Mustang GT
Location: MO/ Born and raised in Louisiana
Posts: 10,075
Default

No not now. You need to add some more mods to get the full effect of the tune..
__________________



Vortech V-1 T Trim SC (intercooled), MMR 900 Short Block, CMS Stage 1 blower cams, MHS Stage 1 heads, eddy Vic jr intake, 6061 plenum, FRPP 410's, Flowtech LT's, Anderson Powerpipe, MGW STS

498 RWHP/410 ft lbs of torque---Not bad for a little ol 2V...
Soldier GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
Subbz
2nd Gear Member
 
Subbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 2000 Mustang GT
Location: CA
Posts: 165
Default

I think they mean you're better off saving your money from getting either one since either of those mods don't really require tuning. But if you had to get your car tuned, dyno tunes are way better than a handheld tuner. Handheld tuners for the most part are basically cookie cutter tunes compared to dyno tunes where everything on your car is monitored and then they tune your car to exact specifications according to your car.
Subbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member
 
Soldier GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 2003 Ford Mustang GT
Location: MO/ Born and raised in Louisiana
Posts: 10,075
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbz View Post
I think they mean you're better off saving your money from getting either one since either of those mods don't really require tuning. But if you had to get your car tuned, dyno tunes are way better than a handheld tuner. Handheld tuners for the most part are basically cookie cutter tunes compared to dyno tunes where everything on your car is monitored and then they tune your car to exact specifications according to your car.
Yep you got it..
__________________



Vortech V-1 T Trim SC (intercooled), MMR 900 Short Block, CMS Stage 1 blower cams, MHS Stage 1 heads, eddy Vic jr intake, 6061 plenum, FRPP 410's, Flowtech LT's, Anderson Powerpipe, MGW STS

498 RWHP/410 ft lbs of torque---Not bad for a little ol 2V...
Soldier GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
Subbz
2nd Gear Member
 
Subbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 2000 Mustang GT
Location: CA
Posts: 165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier GT View Post
Yep you got it..
Thanks! And as Soldier said you need more mods to get the most out of a tune. And for the most part it seems that the only time you're forced to get a dyno tune is if you get a more aggressive cam or adding on F/I. Most bolt ons you can get away with just using a handheld tuner.

Last edited by Subbz; 06-25-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Subbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
dustya
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 01 ford mustang gt
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 19
Default

thxs for info bein a convertible im not gonna go crazy with mods just wanted a little more power
dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:59 AM   #10
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member
 
Soldier GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 2003 Ford Mustang GT
Location: MO/ Born and raised in Louisiana
Posts: 10,075
Default

Best bang for the buck would be some gears..
__________________



Vortech V-1 T Trim SC (intercooled), MMR 900 Short Block, CMS Stage 1 blower cams, MHS Stage 1 heads, eddy Vic jr intake, 6061 plenum, FRPP 410's, Flowtech LT's, Anderson Powerpipe, MGW STS

498 RWHP/410 ft lbs of torque---Not bad for a little ol 2V...
Soldier GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
AMDanBailer
Platinum Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2012 Boss 302
Location: PA
Posts: 2,269
americanmusclefb americanmuscle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustya View Post
Want your opinion which 1 is cost effective? Dyno tune 500 with a handheld or 380 for a bama tuner? My mods coldair and hpipe thats all I plan to do.
With your Current Mods and Model of car, you don't really need a tune. However, you'll still benefit and will definitely pick up some noticeable power!

I would recommend going with a Bama tune, so that you can take advantage of our free tunes for life program. If you ever add a new modification to your car or plan on it, just hit up the Bama team and they'll get you a new revised file sent out right away!

For every Bama Tune we ask you 19 questions about your specific Mustang, including your unique mods and style of driving. This info helps us write custom tunes from the ground-up for your Mustang's mods that will give you the most horsepower that we can safely deliver. We're also constantly developing our tunes! Between our 14 different Project Mustangs and tons of street/track and dyno testing (on our in-house Dynojet 224xLC), we're looking for any minor tweaks to be made that can benefit you guys. We're also part of Fords Technology Transfer Program & Work very closely with Ford to insure that all of our tunes are perfect!

Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future. PS - I also agree that gears may be your best bank for the buck. We can also recalculate your speedometer for your new ratio!

-Dan
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
GET UP TO $200 TOWARDS YOUR NEXT PURCHASE FROM AM!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
jam23r1
1st Gear Member
 
jam23r1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 2002 GT
Location: va
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
With your Current Mods and Model of car, you don't really need a tune. However, you'll still benefit and will definitely pick up some noticeable power!

I would recommend going with a Bama tune, so that you can take advantage of our free tunes for life program. If you ever add a new modification to your car or plan on it, just hit up the Bama team and they'll get you a new revised file sent out right away!

For every Bama Tune we ask you 19 questions about your specific Mustang, including your unique mods and style of driving. This info helps us write custom tunes from the ground-up for your Mustang's mods that will give you the most horsepower that we can safely deliver. We're also constantly developing our tunes! Between our 14 different Project Mustangs and tons of street/track and dyno testing (on our in-house Dynojet 224xLC), we're looking for any minor tweaks to be made that can benefit you guys. We're also part of Fords Technology Transfer Program & Work very closely with Ford to insure that all of our tunes are perfect!

Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future. PS - I also agree that gears may be your best bank for the buck. We can also recalculate your speedometer for your new ratio!

-Dan
do you guys wright tunes for S/C
__________________
2002 GT Drop top,
vortech supercharger.V-1
70mm TB
90mm MAF
injectors 39#BBK 300 fuel pump and high flow rails
Borla exhaust. BBK shorty headers BBK O/R X pipe
Reinforced Subframe.
SVT SPRINGS,SVT SHOCKS, SVT RIM'S.UCR LCA
275/40/17 NITTO 555 on front and back.
Cobra interior, 01 Cobra hood.
jam23r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
uberstang1
Chupacabra
 
uberstang1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1997 Mustang GT, 2002 F150 XLT 4x4 Triton
Location: wilkes-barre PA
Posts: 9,462
MustangSVT97r
Send a message via AIM to uberstang1 Send a message via Yahoo to uberstang1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam23r1 View Post
do you guys wright tunes for S/C
No offense, but if you would trust an email tune for a supercharged car and not put it on a dyno you really need to get a different hobby, thats just asking for a gernaded motor.
__________________
Street Car, 4v D1sc, 20psi,viper spec t56, Team Z/ UPR suspension.
SKELETON CREW RACING
uberstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #14
jam23r1
1st Gear Member
 
jam23r1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 2002 GT
Location: va
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberstang1 View Post
No offense, but if you would trust an email tune for a supercharged car and not put it on a dyno you really need to get a different hobby, thats just asking for a gernaded motor.
I can even drive the car to the dyno right now. I need a tune.
__________________
2002 GT Drop top,
vortech supercharger.V-1
70mm TB
90mm MAF
injectors 39#BBK 300 fuel pump and high flow rails
Borla exhaust. BBK shorty headers BBK O/R X pipe
Reinforced Subframe.
SVT SPRINGS,SVT SHOCKS, SVT RIM'S.UCR LCA
275/40/17 NITTO 555 on front and back.
Cobra interior, 01 Cobra hood.
jam23r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #15
uberstang1
Chupacabra
 
uberstang1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1997 Mustang GT, 2002 F150 XLT 4x4 Triton
Location: wilkes-barre PA
Posts: 9,462
MustangSVT97r
Send a message via AIM to uberstang1 Send a message via Yahoo to uberstang1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam23r1 View Post
I can even drive the car to the dyno right now. I need a tune.
Can always trailer, u might be able to get a temp tune from a tuner to drive it in as long as its not a far distance, but it will by no means be ok to go into boost with.
__________________
Street Car, 4v D1sc, 20psi,viper spec t56, Team Z/ UPR suspension.
SKELETON CREW RACING
uberstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #16
j-town_edge
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 2008 Ford Edge
Location: MI
Posts: 80
Default

I wouldn't get a tune with those mods unless you add headers or anything substantial. A tune at this point would just make the car a bit more "fun" to drive, but nothing the "butt dyno" would really notice. Gears would do that.
j-town_edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:51 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 PM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup