4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Washed motor now serious miss

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Slngshott

Default Washed motor now serious miss

Ok guys I need some help. I cleaned my 01 gt the other day and lightly sprayed down the motor to clean it off. Car started rite up and I parked it in the garage. Yesterday I go to pull it out and it has a miss now. My check engine light is on just haven't had a chance to run code because somebody has my scanner. I am thinking about new coils. I am looking at the Accel supper coil. I have fans blowing on motor to dry out anything that's wet. I drove it alittle easy to try help dry it out . Any ideas or suggestions ?
Old 06-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Doublevision
1st Gear Member

There is no way you can have a fan blowing on anything that is wet when the part that is wet is down in the boot.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:54 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

i wouldnt ever spray anything down.. especially something thats so touchy on the car. all those electronic pieces and such...a good wipe down might suffice
Old 06-29-2013, 01:03 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Yea never spray water right on top of these engines. They tend to get finicky. You can try to dry it out by driving it but more tan likely a coil has went bad. Run the code reader to be sure though. Just use factory motorcraft coils, out wont gain anything from a aftermarket coil. In fact, I have seen the accel coils give no gain and everyone that has used them has had trouble
Old 06-29-2013, 07:13 PM
DJINN n TONIC

Remove the coils, remove the plugs, crank the engine for 10 seconds with the spark plugs out. with a clean rag (An old T-Shirt will suffice), wipe off the coil boots, and add dielectric grease to the ends. reassemble and call it a day.

On a lighter note...Someone take the hose away from this guy before he hurts himself...
Old 06-30-2013, 12:58 AM
JJ Glo
1st Gear Member

This happened to my car after it was showered in water -.-. It lasted about 3 days before I fixed it.

There's probably water down under the COPs in between the boot and the spark plug that's causing the misfire.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:15 AM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by DJINN n TONIC
Remove the coils, remove the plugs, crank the engine for 10 seconds with the spark plugs out. with a clean rag (An old T-Shirt will suffice), wipe off the coil boots, and add dielectric grease to the ends. reassemble and call it a day.

On a lighter note...Someone take the hose away from this guy before he hurts himself...
Why take the spark plugs out? It's not like water got into the cylinders.

If the OP can't be trusted with a garden hose, what do you think of his chances with aluminum cylinder heads and spark plugs?
Old 06-30-2013, 06:25 AM
DJINN n TONIC

Why take the spark plugs out?
Simply because you cant dry out the tubes by hand. They are too deep. But a few compression strokes will blow any remaining water, leaves, dirt and general "Gunk" Out of the tubes.

Of course there is the other option, of Turning the car upside down for a day or two

Of course you can see that I'm just Sarcastic by nature, and I have no idea of OP's technical ability. I was just goofin.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:33 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

No need to take the plugs out, just pull the cops and boots out and spray into the plug well with an air hose, itll dry out.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:09 PM
DJINN n TONIC

yep, assuming a Compressor is available....

Quick Reply: Washed motor now serious miss