4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

oil leak after oil change droping near midpipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 07:28 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

It was probably old oil dripping off the steering rack from when they changed the oil , driving the car can force the oil to spray backwards and make a mess.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:42 PM
highroller02
1st Gear Member

Cool

[QUOTE=uberstang1;8240509]It was probably old oil dripping off the steering rack from when they changed the oil , driving the car can force the oil to spray backwards and make a mess.[/QUOTE

That is a possibly Uber but I have gone on 3 drives since first noticing leak. Each time i pull in garage I put paper under same spot and boom, 5 mins later there is oil there. The spots seem to be getting a bit smaller but i dunno.

i read there is a seal where the drive shaft meets the differential. That is the only thing near where the leak is and im not even sure that's close.

I guess all this posting is unnessiary as i wont be doing the repair myself. I just want to be informed on what it is before i take it somewhere.

Thanks for all advice/input
Old 07-01-2013, 06:45 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Is it motor oil, trans fluid, or gear fluid?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:05 AM
Doublevision
1st Gear Member

If it is leaking at the mid-pipe, and DOWN the midpipe sort of like this then it is your output shaft seal on the trans. You can see where mine leaked on my mid-pipe dead center from the tail shaft of the trans here on my 4.6L F150. I replaced it last week. If your car an auto? If so you should start to be getting low on fluid and should check with the car running and hot after a drive. If not, you should have someone check your 5 speed gearbox oil STAT.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:59 PM
highroller02
1st Gear Member

DOUBLEVISION-UBER thank you for your replies. Here is what I found out today. I Noticed oil from directly below my shifter, 5spd.

Seems I have gear oil coming from there. So then I took off shifter boot and bolts and there it is-plain as day oil sitting there.

Then I pulled up on that little rubber boot around the shifter and oil spilled out it. Which means gear oil is being thrown up there. I Tighted the 4 bolts that where there but they seemed snug. I did see a little black o ring around the shifter.

SO what needs to be replaced? I feel better knowing its not motor oil but still don't know how to fix problem. Hopefully tightening those bolts will keep it from dripping. I will find out soon.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:10 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

That little round black rubber plug on the left side of the shifter base is like a pressure release plug, I never ever saw wont actually blow out because manuals trans dont overheat they just break, but its more or less a safety precation incase somehow someone was able to overfill the trans. When u say gear fluid Im assuming you mean red transmission fluid correct? Re silicone the shifter and reinstall it and go from there. When u remove the 4 shifter bolts the shifter will pop right out.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:38 PM
highroller02
1st Gear Member

I have no RED fluid anywhere. Its gear oil, looks like engine oil. Its Coming down from somewhere around the shifter. It should not be overfilled because its been two years since I last had it changed. I dunno how its kicking up into my shifter like that
Old 07-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Put your keys down and step away from the vehicle.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:24 AM
Doublevision
1st Gear Member

Remember that gravity wins so find the highest point that oil is anywhere and look for your issue.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:30 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

easiest way to find a leak is to use UV dye and a black light you can find at most parts stores cost like 4.00. Just pour into oil, power steering, transmission etc. drive around for a while come back and start inspecting. GL

Quick Reply: oil leak after oil change droping near midpipe