4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

oil leak after oil change droping near midpipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 11:12 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Theres no way it can be gear oil by the shifter unless someone poured it around there or in the trans.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:54 PM
highroller02
1st Gear Member

who the hell knows anymore uber, I apprieciate all your help as always. IM going to take minerals advice and use the dye. However, I have now gone on 2 drives with no leaks in the garage. I swear it was some type of oil dripping from directly under my shifter.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:03 AM
Helotech

it's probably gear oil, it looks like motor oil only thicker, it's likely that during your "spirited drive" you were putting pressure on your shifter that you don't normally do which opened up a small gap for the gear oil to get "thrown" out of. as the oil gets hotter it gets thinner. so the combination of "spirited" driving causes the oil to heat up, the RPMS' throw the oil up to the shifter, the shifter being manipulated harder than usual opens up a gap that the oil finds, the oil puddles up on the top of the transmission then over time drips down onto the floor. just took a while to drip off so it seems to have stopped leaking.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:45 AM
DJINN n TONIC

Theres no way it can be gear oil by the shifter unless someone poured it around there or in the trans.
Agreed.....Gear oil will make very short life of a stick box. trans itself uses ATF.

Check the back of your valve covers, the gallery plugs at the back of the heads, or , if all else fails, and the leak subsided, the oil dispenser got loose and "ran a Muck" while the guy was filling your oil.

From a technicians point of view, if it isnt leaking anymore, it was either residue, or its EMPTY....CHECK YOUR FLUID LEVELS!!!!!

I know its of no consequence, but the old 5.0's would leak miserably at the back of the intake manifolds and run straight down onto the bellhousing and run off to the ground. Then it would suddenly just stop leaking, just before Catastrophy struck.

Last edited by DJINN n TONIC; 07-04-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:52 PM
highroller02
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Helotech
it's probably gear oil, it looks like motor oil only thicker, it's likely that during your "spirited drive" you were putting pressure on your shifter that you don't normally do which opened up a small gap for the gear oil to get "thrown" out of. as the oil gets hotter it gets thinner. so the combination of "spirited" driving causes the oil to heat up, the RPMS' throw the oil up to the shifter, the shifter being manipulated harder than usual opens up a gap that the oil finds, the oil puddles up on the top of the transmission then over time drips down onto the floor. just took a while to drip off so it seems to have stopped leaking.
Sounds like a logical explanation to me. I think we have a winner.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:58 PM
highroller02
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DJINN n TONIC
Agreed.....Gear oil will make very short life of a stick box. trans itself uses ATF.

Check the back of your valve covers, the gallery plugs at the back of the heads, or , if all else fails, and the leak subsided, the oil dispenser got loose and "ran a Muck" while the guy was filling your oil.

From a technicians point of view, if it isnt leaking anymore, it was either residue, or its EMPTY....CHECK YOUR FLUID LEVELS!!!!!

I know its of no consequence, but the old 5.0's would leak miserably at the back of the intake manifolds and run straight down onto the bellhousing and run off to the ground. Then it would suddenly just stop leaking, just before Catastrophy struck.
Im ruling out the oil dispenser got loose theory. It was dripping for about 3 days after every drive. Dear god I hope no catastrophe will occur. Im about to go out for a Fourth of July Drive, hopefully she survives. I did have a local shop unscrew trans drain/fill plug. Oil did not gush out but rather slowly drained. The guy said that's what it was supposed to do. Is this the proper way to check the fluid I was leaking?
Old 07-04-2013, 02:11 PM
highroller02
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Please explain why? I don't know.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:14 PM
highroller02
1st Gear Member

I wonder if all this is a result of me using GM syncromesh a few years back
Old 07-04-2013, 02:14 PM
highroller02
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by highroller02
I wonder if all this is a result of me using GM syncromesh a few years back

Probably just me driving the **** out of it
Old 07-04-2013, 03:19 PM
DJINN n TONIC

IPlease explain why? I don't know.
Because your trans doesnt use gear oil....it uses Good ole RED Automatic trans fluid.

Quick Reply: oil leak after oil change droping near midpipe