4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

installing clutch disc onto input shaft -is it supposed to touch guide? (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 06:49 PM
kingrukus
2nd Gear Member

Default installing clutch disc onto input shaft -is it supposed to touch guide? (pics inside)

I was told my T-45 transmission has a very slight bend on the input shaft, however after testing a spare clutch disc on the input shaft, I fail to see how there is a bend. I was able to slide the clutch disc onto the input shaft, however it didn't quite make contact with the throwout bearing guide.

This picture shows the flywheel side:

This picture was taken from the inspection window in the bellhousing showing the slight space between the disc and the guide which sits over the input shaft:
Name:  inputshaft_trans_zps1e07827a.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  63.9 KB

Is there supposed to be a small space here (~3mm) or is the disc supposed to slide freely right against the guide?
Old 06-30-2013, 07:26 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Pardon my lack of understanding here........but what are u trying to show in these pics.... the clutch dish and pressure plate assembly need to be torqued down onto the flywheel. I don't know what the point of these pics are because the clutch system isn't installed. Theres no telling how anything is gonna sit or where its gonna sit on the trans input shaft untill its installed.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:36 PM
kingrukus
2nd Gear Member

I was hoping to find out if the disc is supposed to slide all the way to the back of the input shaft and touch the throw-out bearing guide - so I can quickly tell whether or not my input shaft is bent (i.e. a bent shaft wouldn't allow the disc to slide to the very back in theory).
Old 07-01-2013, 06:43 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I'm not 100% sure but I would assume it woldn't because that would be a spinning part coming in contact with a stationary part, there would be all kinds of grinding/rub marks on the clutch disk and the bearing retainer if It did I would imagine.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Best way to tell if your shaft is bent is with a straight edge. Dunno if the clutch disk is thick enough to bind on a shaft that is only a tiny bit bent. Also I wouldn't think it comes back that far though since that guide only goes into the pressure plate a little bit, but I guess it might.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:03 PM
RMK01GT
1st Gear Member

Actually the best way to check if a shaft is bent is to set up a dial indicator onto the shaft and turn it, checking for "runout"
anything over .002" runout is completely unacceptable and will need to be replaced
Old 07-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

^ Sir, you are 100% correct.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:37 PM
kingrukus
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RMK01GT
Actually the best way to check if a shaft is bent is to set up a dial indicator onto the shaft and turn it, checking for "runout"
anything over .002" runout is completely unacceptable and will need to be replaced
Okay - would I be able to do this myself? Or would I need a transmission shop to check this?

I am a complete newbie to this type of work.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:11 PM
Vertigo_GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kingrukus
I was told my T-45 transmission has a very slight bend on the input shaft, however after testing a spare clutch disc on the input shaft, I fail to see how there is a bend. I was able to slide the clutch disc onto the input shaft, however it didn't quite make contact with the throwout bearing guide.

This picture shows the flywheel side:

This picture was taken from the inspection window in the bellhousing showing the slight space between the disc and the guide which sits over the input shaft:

Is there supposed to be a small space here (~3mm) or is the disc supposed to slide freely right against the guide?
I have to ask since no one else has. Who told you there is a bend in the shaft and how did they determine that it is bent? What were the symptoms or conditions that caused the part to be suspected in the first place?

Last edited by Vertigo_GT; 07-03-2013 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Added question
Old 07-03-2013, 10:35 PM
kingrukus
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vertigo_GT
I have to ask since no one else has. Who told you there is a bend in the shaft and how did they determine that it is bent? What were the symptoms or conditions that caused the part to be suspected in the first place?
I wasn't clear enough in my first post, my apologies.

The clutch blew at the drag strip, friction disc started to slip, created enough heat to break the pressure plate into three pieces. At some point this apparently also caused the input shaft to get a very slight bend mid way along the exposed section. My mechanic when trying to reinstall the transmission into the new clutch/flywheel said it would not fit in and that the input shaft must be bent. I replaced it with another used transmission which apparently slid right in without issue.

Prior to the clutch blowing, the original transmission shifted fine. There was release bearing chirping noise from time to time.

Quick Reply: installing clutch disc onto input shaft -is it supposed to touch guide? (pics inside)