4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

shortblock, cams, FI, etc build help

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 04:48 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Default shortblock, cams, FI, etc build help

hey everybody. First of all, i have a 2003 gt coupe, 5speed. 40k miles on her. Ill start by telling my goals. I would love a really fast street car, and an occasional pass at the strip. I know suspension is such a crucial part but i know alot more about that than i do on this topic so i will save that for a future date.

Im looking to push about 550rwhp or so. I will be going with a forged shortblock, and ive looked at MMR, MHS, etc. recommendations?

I want a cam with a nice loping idle, decent gains, but gaurantees it will clear the pistons. I was looking at comp stage 2 blower cams...yay/nay?

What is piston dish volume, valve relief, etc. All of this info was on the shortblock and honestly dont know a thing about all of this. Also, why do people stroke the motor.. would i benefit from this or no?

New heads. Im guessing trick flow are the most popular.. but should i stick with the same brand as the shortblock? do i get "2v pi heads" or "2v TFS heads?" difference? I see on MHS i can get the heads and cams as a combo kit that comes assembled and i can drop it into the forged shortblock of my choice..?

Lastly, supercharger..Probably a ps1c? any better ideas? are there any pros cons to this S/c and would you get a different kind to allow for more boost?

I currently have 4.10s waiting to be put in by the way.

How does all this sound? im sure im missing something and if anyone can chime in please let me know! i am kind of intimidated with all this information and want to do it right the first time. Thanks everybody and sorry for such a huge post!!
Old 07-06-2013, 09:05 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Go with a procharger D1sc over the P1sc
Old 07-06-2013, 09:22 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Go with a procharger D1sc over the P1sc
does it allow for more boost? thanks for the suggestion
Old 07-06-2013, 09:55 AM
bronxbomba63
4th Gear Member

Im looking to push about 550rwhp or so. I will be going with a forged shortblock, and ive looked at MMR, MHS, etc. recommendations?
I've heard nothing but good things about both companies, so I don't think you can go wrong either way. I'm currently starting my build, and I'm going with MMR's 1000S stroker kit. The reason I'm going stroker is because it's about half the price of the shortblock which is also a 4.6. So my thinking is why not save money and keep my block.

I want a cam with a nice loping idle, decent gains, but gaurantees it will clear the pistons. I was looking at comp stage 2 blower cams...yay/nay?
I'm going with Comp Cams stage 2 because since I'm putting a KB in my car and am looking for the most power, I thought I should go with a blower cam.

What is piston dish volume, valve relief, etc. All of this info was on the shortblock and honestly dont know a thing about all of this. Also, why do people stroke the motor.. would i benefit from this or no?
I'm in the same boat as you as far as not knowing about piston dish volume, etc., but my reasoning for going stroker was because of price.

New heads. Im guessing trick flow are the most popular.. but should i stick with the same brand as the shortblock? do i get "2v pi heads" or "2v TFS heads?" difference? I see on MHS i can get the heads and cams as a combo kit that comes assembled and i can drop it into the forged shortblock of my choice..?
The PI heads don't flow as well as the TFS heads. The TFS heads have bigger ports allowing for more air/fuel mix (more power). TFS offers a top end kit that includes everything and can be dropped on your block also. I think they run about $3K.

If I'm wrong about any of this, somebody let me know because I'm learning myself.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:24 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

one thing you will also have to spend $$$ on for a setup like this is your fuel setup. Look into Glennsperformance
Old 07-06-2013, 11:03 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

I also recommend glenn's performance. I used the sleeper sumped kit. Works very well
Old 07-06-2013, 11:35 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

thanks everyone. i wish someone could just list everything i would need all parts and everything lol
Old 07-06-2013, 11:53 AM
bronxbomba63
4th Gear Member

You kinda have that with the search lol. That's pretty much what I did to find out everything I would need. The only other thing I did was order a newer fuel pump. My car has 120K+ miles on it so instead of putting a BAP on that, I'm going with a new pump, and put the BAP on that.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:55 AM
bronxbomba63
4th Gear Member

Are you doing the work yourself, or are you having a shop do the installs?
Old 07-06-2013, 12:17 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

i would have a shop do it... i can do minor to intermediate things.. but i really wont mess with crucial engine work

Quick Reply: shortblock, cams, FI, etc build help