4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Injectors?? Will they make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I agree with everyone esle. 410's will not (horribly) affect your gas mileage. It does take a bit getting use to tho especially in a FI car. Also have you thougt about doing a PI swap?
Old 07-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Hedunndidit

The car only has 88k. originally I wasn't going to tear into it to much just bolt ons but now I'm thinking more and more about it. What all is needed? I found someone here locally selling a Romeo engine that's been tore apart what is a good price to pay for heads intake and cams? Is that all I will need?
Old 07-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

That and gaskets although a timing kit with new chains etc isn't a bad idea while you have it tore apart. The only modification required is drilling out and tapping a second hole in the coolant crossover on the PI manifold for another temp sensor. It's super simple and the flat spot for the hole is there you just have to make the hole.

You can buy the heads brand new and assembled from summit for like $350-400 a piece that is honestly the way to go unless you can get used ones real cheap. If you buy used you will most likely want to have them machined so you can be sure they're straight.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:21 PM
j-town_edge
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stevo86
False! Gears are the biggest bang for the buck holy cow I can really feel it mod you can do. The typical recommendation is 3.73 for manual 4.10 for auto. Also on a 98 stop throwing money at it until you do a PI swap. For the price of all your current mods, you could have more power with the updated heads.
I agree that the biggest bang for your buck would be the PI swap and gears. If you are worried too much about acceleration, you could go with the 3.73s instead of the 4.10s.

The gear swap will greatly awaken the acceleration/response and the PI should give you a noticeable increase in hp. Couple that with the tune and small other mods you've done, you should have a pretty quick pony on your hands.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Hedunndidit

Awesome guys you are helping make some decisions much easier for me lol Looks like ill be saving up for a PI swap and some 3.73 gears. The Mustang is so much cheaper to mod than my f350 Powerstroke is! A little more fun to drive on back roads too! Im sure there are some threads around to help do the swap when it comes time. I'm headed in the right direction though, Thanks Again!
Old 07-08-2013, 06:33 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I added 4.10s a couple weeks ago. They are fantastic on the street. I know I'm not driving a new edge, but fwiw, my mileage dropped about ten percent.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Hedunndidit

So I can get heads intake and cams for 200 bucks. My choice of intakes he has two. I'm thinking its a no brainer. Even if they need machined.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:52 AM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

I would wait if you still want to do injectors, your would need a programmer to dial in your A/F ratio for your new injectors. Mine still isn't quite the way I want it. Gears and PI swap will be your best bet as already stated. Over time though they will complement each other once you get a tune on the car. I have 3.73's and I love em.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:02 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

So to break it down a little more, we all know your engine needs fuel and air to run (and ignition obviously, but we're skipping that here). 1996-1998 GTs were built with horrible air restrictions, meaning you were limited by lack of air to mix with fuel. In 1999 they reworked the heads and intake and called it PI or power improved. That's why people are suggesting a PI swap which is mainly heads and intake plus supporting parts.

Injectors just spray the fuel, so being that you're already air restricted, injectors aren't going to do anything for you. You start looking at injectors when you start talking about superchargers and turbo chargers because they are forcing more air in and need bigger injectors to keep up.

So really your throttle body and plenum are going to do little to nothing as well since there's so much restriction after them. On a 96-98, if you want to add more power, you have to start with a PI swap or other head/intake upgrade. Well, you don't have to, but everything else is going to be much less effective with so much restriction there, and if you can find a cheap set of PI heads and intake, it'll be huge bang for your buck. Non-PI was 215 HP, PI was 260 HP.

Now gears? It's ultimately up to you, but I wouldn't listen to anyone who says 4.10s are too much for the road. Especially on an SN95. If you drive a lot of highway miles, you may want to consider 3.73s rather than 4.10s because your RPMs will be starting to climb at higher speeds. 70 MPH is still only ~2500 RPMs though, so it's really not that bad. I personally have a gap around 45-50 MPH with my 3.55s where it's a little much for 4th and not enough for 5th. That's why people say 4.10s can even help with city driving.

But yeah, if it were me I'd also say PI swap and 4.10s. It'd feel like a rocket ship compared to now.

Last edited by AJ06GT; 07-11-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Hedunndidit

Aj06gt thank for the in depth reply helps break it down for me. I was able to get a torn down 01 crown Vic motor minus the crank. I traded some music festival tickets I had laying around for it. So cheap yes! My fiancé works at the festival it's basically a free PI swap! Well except for gaskets and miscellaneous parts. Thanks to all who replied! Gonna be a project for over the winter need to learn a little bit more before I tear into it!! If I new how to post a pic I'd show you guys my new treasure lol

Quick Reply: Injectors?? Will they make a difference?