4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Limited Slip Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 03:13 PM
302Travis
2nd Gear Member

Default Limited Slip Problems

Hey guys I'm new on here so hello everyone! Anyways I have a 00' GT 5spd. I've notice in the rain it has not problem breaking both rear wheels loose but sometime on dry pavement and especially this past weekend at the track, it seems like sometimes (a lot at the track) that if it span, it was making a one tire fire because it didn't seem to swing the rear out or have any loss or rear end stability if that makes sense. It would roast em and just go completely straight if I launched too hard and started to spin. I just bought the car 2 months ago. 151k on it. Wondered if maybe the rear diff fluid was possibly broken down and not giving enough pressure for the limited slip or what? Or maybe the clutch for the limited slip wore out??? Not real knowledgable about axles to be honest. The car is lowered 1.5" so it does change the angle of the drive shaft entering a little but I wouldn't think it'd have anything to do with this but i'll throw it out there anyways. In every other way the car is stock. BONE Stock.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:25 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Does it smoke both tires? Just because it goes straight doesn't mean its broke lol.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:31 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

Cool Sounds like a TrakLoc Posi needs rebuilding.

You need to know what Posi-traction type you have stock or after market. Your Vin should show what stock it is. Then check for a rebuild kit. I'm just going to trash my new stock 2013 and mount a Yukon. I hear they're better for drag, T2's(Boss) are better for Track and the rest are expensive. Lots of miles, I'm not a clutch-pert but I bet you could google:

"How do I know when my clutch is shot?"

But your rear sounds like it's going bad, still spins both wheels in the rain when it doesn't take much effort but under traction it slips. The Posi. is a clutch like unit to give power to both L/R axils while allowing enough slip so you can turn corners. True solid wheels would wear bad and turn like pop because the inside wheel has less distance to travel. One wheel is full power while the internal Posi clutch pads are failing. Rebuild kit + Labor new bearings or new?

Last edited by VistaBlueFrank68; 07-16-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:37 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

Hay Wilkes-Barre you Shark bit Stang slinger, he said "one tire fire" Where are you from? Sugar Notch, Pa.? I say rebuild but no idea what he has. Vin check will tell stock but maybe it's been fiddled with in 150k.

How about a trip to a good junkyard and see if you can find a low millage wreak?
Old 07-16-2013, 06:12 PM
302Travis
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Does it smoke both tires? Just because it goes straight doesn't mean its broke lol.
one tire fire= one wheel spins the other doesn't...... FYI

And VistaBlue, I will check my VIN when I can and get back to you. But bad clutch in limited slip is the first thing I've thought. I will post VIN info and what I find on it asap
Old 07-16-2013, 06:20 PM
302Travis
2nd Gear Member

Vin is: 1FAFP42X0YF293999 also, another way i know it's a one tire fire, after doing some passes at the strip i noticed only the right side had slung up some rubber on the fender well. And on the street sometimes i would clutch it mid-turn trying to swing the rear out and have some fun, and it just smoked the one tire and never kicked out. VERY DISAPPOINTING lol
Old 07-16-2013, 06:32 PM
302Travis
2nd Gear Member

axle code LE and from what i found online says is a locking diff..... I don't believe it, is that true?
Old 07-16-2013, 06:44 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

It's a 3.27 gear ratio Track-Loc, that's just a plain Jane Posi. New they're around $240.
Rebuild kit, differential rebuild kit (the two are different) and a 3.73 ring and pinion set would pep things up.

Labor is the killer, unless you do it yourself. I wouldn't (gear noise if not done right). What would a junkyard sell you a good 8.8 complete for? Add all the costs, parts and labor and you could swap the whole rear for less.

Last edited by VistaBlueFrank68; 07-16-2013 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Junkyards keep popping into my head.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:47 PM
302Travis
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaBlueFrank68
It's a 3.27 gear ratio Track-Loc, that's just a plain Jane Posi. New they're around $240.
Rebuild kit, differential rebuild kit (the two are different) and a 3.73 ring and pinion set would pep things up.
So it might have a bad clutch in it? What brands are good in rebuild kits? and how much does a good rebuild kit cost?
Old 07-16-2013, 07:04 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

Look at "American Muscle" go to your year and type of car. Under the top banner for Drive Train find the LSD section, that means Limited Slip Differential. They have rebuild kits for the Posi and rebuild kits for the rear overall.

Also check out the gears, you have a 3.27, A 3.73 or 4.10 will make your car bat sh** crazy fast but it'll suck more fuel. Think of it as a 10 speed bike, your 3.27 is a high gear, real hard to start-up but easy to keep going at higher speeds, whereas a 3.73 is easy to get going quick and a 4.10 will have you spinning like crazy to go fast. I swear you can see the fuel needle move as you drive a 4.10. Shelby's have 3.Low's because they have so much hp, they don't need to start-out easy. You could probably start one of those in 3rd.

Quick Reply: Limited Slip Problems