4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Dyno + cams + white smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Saabonthis

Default Dyno + cams + white smoke?

So I recently installed stage 2 hi tech cams in my 03 mustang. Prior to cams I dyno'd 252wrhp and 297tq. After cams, I gain 44wrhp and did 297wrhp but tq stayed similar. I'm happy with results, seeing it's untuned for the cams (has bama tuner on it for other mods) and was running a bit rich. My concern however is on wot higher rpm there is white smoke coming from the exhaust (a good amount, but doesn't exactly smell sweet according to a friend who was following me). On idle or regular driving, it doesn't do it. I've checked both oil and coolant and both are just as they should be. Also, never did this before cam install. What could it be? If it makes any difference, I changed the oil after cam swap and used higher zinc containing oil.

Name:  1005632_10153034740385371_1291603353_n_zps6d8e8315.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  204.0 KB
Old 07-25-2013, 09:28 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Saabonthis
So I recently installed stage 2 hi tech cams in my 03 mustang. Prior to cams I dyno'd 252wrhp and 297tq. After cams, I gain 44wrhp and did 297wrhp but tq stayed similar. I'm happy with results, seeing it's untuned for the cams (has bama tuner on it for other mods) and was running a bit rich. My concern however is on wot higher rpm there is white smoke coming from the exhaust (a good amount, but doesn't exactly smell sweet according to a friend who was following me). On idle or regular driving, it doesn't do it. I've checked both oil and coolant and both are just as they should be. Also, never did this before cam install. What could it be? If it makes any difference, I changed the oil after cam swap and used higher zinc containing oil.
Great gains, I'm glad to see you picked up a ton of power from the Cams. I bet it sounds nasty as well!

If your car is blowing White smoke, this means you're burning coolant. The first place I would look is the head gasket. Make sure you don't have a small rip or something along those lines. Before ripping the car apart, I would also make sure the smoke is White. Different colors could mean running rich, burning oil, just having no cats etc...

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions or need some further assistance!

-Dan
Old 07-25-2013, 07:16 PM
Saabonthis

It's only blowing smoke under load and high rpm. Idling or regular driving it's just fine. It's hard to tell the color seeing it only does it while driving, looks kinda white but dark colored. Could be bluish, idk. Car doesn't have cats. It's got shorty headers x pipe and magnaflow mufflers. I've been checking coolant level and oil and both are just fine. My coolant level hasn't dropped a single bit. Ran rich on the dyno but not extremely bad. A/F ratio was about 11.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:29 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Its probably just a little rich WOT, its normal
Old 07-26-2013, 01:34 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Saabonthis
It's only blowing smoke under load and high rpm. Idling or regular driving it's just fine. It's hard to tell the color seeing it only does it while driving, looks kinda white but dark colored. Could be bluish, idk. Car doesn't have cats. It's got shorty headers x pipe and magnaflow mufflers. I've been checking coolant level and oil and both are just fine. My coolant level hasn't dropped a single bit. Ran rich on the dyno but not extremely bad. A/F ratio was about 11.
Originally Posted by uberstang1
Its probably just a little rich WOT, its normal
Judging by your post, I agree with uberstang. This sounds pretty normal, at WOT your car will run a little rich and could throw a little smoke out. My Mach 1 did this pretty often!

Keep an eye on the Coolant and Oil, if anything seems out of the ordinary let us know!

-Dan
Old 07-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Saabonthis

I'll definitely keep you guys posted. Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-06-2013, 06:03 AM
Saabonthis

Well just an update on the problem. Turns out to be something completely unexpected. The gasket on the base of my short throw shifter basically blew out and at higher speeds trans oil would leak out onto the exhaust, thus burning a white color. Easy fix luckily!