4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Heater hose (inlet) blowing.. I need help. Bad. Please....

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 06:11 AM
jawknee5

Default Heater hose (inlet) blowing.. I need help. Bad. Please....

Howdy folks. I need some help... Bad... I drive a 1998 Mustang GT 5 speed.

About 3 months ago, i was driving home on the freeway, and as i got off the freeway, i noticed steam coming from my engine- then my water light came on... Immediately pulled over and noticed that my heater hose, the inlet(one running from intake manifold to heater core) had ruptured...

Simple enough, i replaced it- being sure to put the stupid flow restrictor back in the new hose, and carried on my merry way.

Well, three weeks ago, on my way home again, i merged on the freeway, and i gunned it as i usually do and around 3500 RPM, BOOM. Steam, and water light. Within literally 5 seconds, i was pulled over and popped my hood, and i noticed that it had blown the hose off. DIdnt rupture it- blew it off the intake manifold side, clamp and all... yeah, talk about pressure... I chalked it up to me MAYBE not putting the hose on correctly, or all the way, or bad clamp position, and reinstalled it, and carried on my merry way- again....

Now, a week ago. I was merging into traffic, and around 3500 RPM, steam and water light... I pulled into the gas station on the corner and popped my hood. It ruptured the 3 week old hose like it wasnt brand new. After a long talk with my mechanic, he suggested just replacing the hose again, assuming the new hose could have been defective. So off to autozone, i replaced the hose, and as you guessed it- on my merry way i went again.

Weeeeeeelllllll i wish i could say happily ever after, but here i am 4 oclock in the morning typing this in my underwear because i cant sleep thinking about it.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

3 days ago, driving home from picking up parts for a project, i merged into traffic, and as you guessed it- around 3500 RPMS.....KABLOOOOOOEEEEY.... Steam, light yadda yadda yadda. AGAIN! Pulled over, the hose didnt rupture, but it blew it off again, clamp and all.

Im trying to figure out WHY it would be building up SO much pressure in this heater hose, that it would cause two new hoses to rupture, and constantly blow off, clamp and all.

Ive called numerous radiator/Ac/heater shops all over the country(california here), and ive stumped some 30 year mechanics, and noone seems to have any idea why pressure would be building in that hose at high RPMs.

The heater works fine, heats up like normal, supposedly ruling out a clogged core. The car never overheats, and seemingly runs fantastic up until i get above 2500 rpms.

Im really at a loss on what could be going on here. Unfortunately im a broke bastard right now, and i cant really afFORD to take it to my mechanic- because he is stuck on the idea of thinking its a blown head gasket, and i cant afford a $1600 "well i think it might be possibly, but i dont know" shot in the dark.

I have no symptoms of a blown head gasket. No oil in water, no water in oil, no bubbles, good oil pressure, no smoke out the tail pipes... nothing....

So i have no idea... and im hoping i can get some good ideas from you guys... i really have nowhere else to turn...

so... help me obi-wan, you're my only hope(s).
Old 07-30-2013, 07:00 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Thermostat,
Old 07-30-2013, 07:19 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

It could also be a plugged radiator , a collapsed lower hose
what is your temps doing at the time of failure?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:26 AM
jawknee5

Temps seem to be normal, in between the r and the m like usual... Though last night after a bit of freeway drivin it was only between the n and the o, it was a little cold last night though.

Never overheats though, unless I'm just not seeing it.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:20 PM
WhiteFaleen2001
2nd Gear Member

Where in CA are you?
Old 07-30-2013, 12:59 PM
jawknee5

Orange County. Buena park to be exact...

May replace the thermostat. It makes sense, if its not opening properly excess pressure will build and blow out the weakest hose- the heater hoses.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:13 PM
WhiteFaleen2001
2nd Gear Member

I live slightly north of LA, was seeing if you wanted my pi intake of off my 2001 gt. the heater core inlet tube also ruptured but I believe it could be drilled out to fit a new inlet tube. it would be yours for some beer money
Old 07-30-2013, 07:35 PM
jawknee5

I wish I could take you up on your offer but I can't... Thank you though.

I replaced the thermostat, thought it was okay.

Got to school and reved it a little bit an boom. Did it again.

I'm lost.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:44 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I would do a compression test even though it all appears good.

I would run a pressure test on the radiator and cooling system even though it looks good.

I would replace the radiator cap also because it is not pricey to do.

Look into the lower radiator hose collapsing when the rpm is increase....
Old 07-30-2013, 08:04 PM
jawknee5

If the lower hose is collapsing, what would cause it, I can't check right now I'm in class- and my cars sitting outside with 15$ worth of antifreeze under it haha...

Quick Reply: Heater hose (inlet) blowing.. I need help. Bad. Please....