4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Fuel pump not turning on, need diagram to test pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 04:32 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Default Fuel pump not turning on, need diagram to test pump

Ok, so on my newly acquired 99 gt, I have just finished replacing the infamous leaking intake manifold. Now she wont start. I tested the voltage at the IFS switch and I'm getting 11 volts to it (battery now only has 11 volts due to repeated attempts to start). Which pins do I test on the pigtail going to the fuel tank to see if the fuel pump is getting power? Or better yet, how do I jumper the pins to the fuel pump to hear if my fuel pump works? I've looked on google and in my chiltons manual and I cant find a description of the pins on this harness. Its a roundish harness that goes to the fuel pump with 7 pins. So either my IFS switch is bad and theres no power getting to the fuel pump, or my fuel pump is getting power and is bad.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:08 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Well, I guess Im just going to jumper a connecting from the inertia switch to the fuel pump and see if I get a proper voltage reading coming from the IFS switch. If anybody has another idea let me know, I'm not too keen on poking a hole into the shroud/shielding on the electricals coming from the IFS switch. -_-
Old 08-06-2013, 04:20 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Alright, well I ended up finding help on another forum. Found the diagrams I needed. Fuel pumps getting power alright, its just not working. On taking down the tank, there are 2 plastic fittings attached to hoses that I didnt remove from the harness and they snapped off. So now I need to repair those fittings with some plastic weld or find another tank. Ugh, it gets better and better.... I been looking around at cjponyparts..americanmuscle...summit. No one seems to make an aftermarket fuel pump for this thing and if you do find one they want to sell you the whole hangar/fuel sender unit with it too. I found a few pumps on ebay, one of which was from a ford GT, looks like it just plugs into the same place the old pump goes. 210$... you guys know of any other places to look or other more affordable options? I dont trust the no name knockoffs on ebay either. I'm looking at supercharging this thing in the next year, so it makes sense to go ahead and upgrade the pump.