4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Electric fan problems after new mods HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 01:57 PM
David Edward Thompson

Default Electric fan problems after new mods HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

i have a 1997 mustang gt and i just did a 1999 gt engine swap because my 97 engine it the ****s. anyways i installed the 99 gt and had to use all my old wiring from my 97 to make it work. ok no problems everything works right except my a/c and my electric fan i can deal with the a/c not working but have to have my fan or i will overheat and screw this engine up. anyways i have installed a bbk 78mm throttle body, bbk headers and the main one here and i think may be the reason for my problem is the ford racing performance intake manifold see with this engine it has two plugins for the temperature and the fan sensor but with this new intake it only lets the fan senor plugin but not the temp gauge sensor so it is just sitting lose in the engine bay and this shouldnt be right. i dont understand why they didnt make a place for it to connect to the intake as well. has anybody else had this problem with this intake if so what did you do because i think the fan is not coming on due to the car not being able to read how hot the engine actually is. so does anybody know what i can do to solve this problem so i can have my car fan working again and have my car back running right. any help will be awesome thanks guys.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:06 PM
castorino220

i think there is a spot on the side of the block where you can put that sensor, i would look there.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:15 AM
the5schlueters
1st Gear Member

I am gonna be doing the PI swap on my 96 and If I get a intake with the xover that only has the one hole I was thinking to just drill and tap another. It looks to me that the intakes with only the 1 hole have a spot next to where the neck bolts on that one could be drilled in. Anyone done this or could you just tie both signal wires together? they are the same part # on both sides. Doesn't one run the gauge and one goto computer? As for the AC I would say plug in a power probe and hunt out the wires. Thats how I have done engine swaps in the past. I always use my power probe.

Last edited by the5schlueters; 08-12-2013 at 03:23 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

If you look on the PI intake you will see and flat spot where the missing temp sensor would be. Carefully drill straight down in the center of that and tap the hole. That is the proper way to fix it. The landing there is plenty thick for you to get a good seal.

If you don't take the manifold off to do this (which I would) stuff some rags in there to keep most of the shavings out of your coolant. But like I said I would definitely take the thing back off/